Latest VW coverage
* Chattanooga plays prominent role in VW's $5 billion push in North America
* Volkswagen R&D center ramping up in Chattanooga, official says
* Hot cars at the Detroit auto show
* Volkswagen, Ford take top awards at the Detroit auto show
* Volkswagen tops 10 million in sales for first time
* Volkswagen's new SUV concept could be made in Chattanooga
* Read previous Volkswagen articles.
DETROIT -- Volkswagen's 2015 Golf and 2015 Golf GTI today were named the 2015 North American Car of the Year.
The Golf and Golf GTI were cited for setting new benchmarks in their segments, including innovation, design, and driver assistance features at the North American International Auto Show.
The cars beat out two other finalists.
"Volkswagen is thrilled to start 2015 with the Golf and Golf GTI taking home the incredible North American Car of the Year title," said Michael Horn, CEO, Volkswagen Group of America, in a statement. "This award highlights our achievements and hard work in the past year, and we are confident that the Golf family will continue to pave the way for the brand in the year ahead."