McDonald's plans to temporarily slim down its menu during the coronavirus pandemic — and it appears all-day breakfast is a casualty.
The fast food giant said the temporary removal of some menu items over the next few weeks is meant to simplify operations in its kitchens and for its crew. Since last week, McDonald's has offered only drive-thru, takeout and delivery at its U.S. restaurants as a growing number of states ordered dining rooms closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
McDonald's is working with franchisees to "focus on serving our most popular choices" and "will regularly evaluate the situation and look to move back to our regular menu as soon as possible," Bill Garrett, senior vice president of McDonald's USA, said in a statement.
In a hint that all-day breakfast will go on hiatus, McDonald's USA President Joe Erlinger tweeted Wednesday night: "All-day breakfast's response to this news: I'll be back."
McDonald's launched all-day breakfast in 2015, a move credited for helping to drive the company's turnaround.