The personal finance web site WalletHub reviewed 30 key measurements at 1,009 colleges and universities across the country, ranging from admission rates and diversity to student-faculty ratios and net cost to rate the state's best colleges.
1. Vanderbilt University (No. 12 national rank)
2. Rhodes College (No. 76 national rank)
3. Union University (143rd national rank)
4. Maryville College (217th national rank)
5. Trevecca Nazarene University (227th national rank)
6. Tennessee Wesleyan University (258th national rank)
7. Lipscomb University (265th national rank)
8. Lincoln Memorial University (284th national rank)
9. University of Tennessee (368 national rank)
10. Bryan College (385th national rank)
Source: WalletHub. Nationwide, the best colleges, in order, are Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton and Cal Tech.
— Compiled by Dave Flessner