The median pay for all occupations in metropolitan Chattanooga rose 2% last year to $47,240, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Median pay in Chattanooga was still 16.2% below the national median pay of $56,360 for a typical American worker. Half of the top highest-paying occupations in Chattanooga in 2020 were in the health care field.
1. Surgeons, physicians, ophthalmologists - $270,120
2. Anesthesiologists - $269,610
3. Family medicine physicians - $239,750
4. Dentists - $193,700
5. Chief executives - $172,950
6. Architectural and engineering managers - $133,600
7. Nurse anesthetists - $133,190
8. Sales managers - $132,240
9. Computer and IT managers - $131,880
10. Nuclear engineers - $128,980
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2020 Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates report for metropolitan Chattanooga based upon 242,810 employed persons. Among the 474 occupations in Chattanooga, waiters, waitresses, fast-food cooks and other restaurant workers had the lowest median pay.
-- Compiled by Dave Flessner
CORRECTION: This story was updated at 3:29 p.m. on Tuesday, June 1, 2021, to correct the pay for nuclear engineers.