The Lovell house in Sewanee, named Sunnyside, was built in 1870 by H.N. Caldwell, the town druggist. It sold in 1873 to William S. Lovell from Natchez, Mississippi. The house was torn down in 1953. (University of the South contributed photo)

An exhibit of 26 black-and-white photos depicting historic homes in Sewanee, Tennessee, will open with a free program and reception Thursday, Feb. 7, at 5:30 p.m. CST at the University of the South's University Archives.

"Sewanee's Historic Houses" is presented by the University Archives and Special Collections in the Lytle Room of University Archives, located on campus between Jessie Ball DuPont Library and the Police Department.

some text
Elliott House, also known as Saints Rest, is one of the three oldest remaining homes in Sewanee. It was built in 1870 by Charlotte Bull Barnwell Elliott. (University of the South contributed photo)

The 1866 Chitty House is the oldest home in the exhibit. Others featured are Ambler Hall, Atkins House, Bonholzer House, Gailor House, Gipson House, Gray Hall, Mayhew House and Wyndcliff.

Some are no longer standing; others, such as the 1890 Fulford Hall, have undergone renovations over the years but still stand. Fulford Hall currently houses university offices.

Chris Van de Ven and Molly Elkins will present an interactive map of historic houses in Sewanee along with a driving tour route of these dwellings at the program.

Bran and Cindy Potter, Virginia Craighill and Nancy Gailor Cortner will speak about their historic homes. The reception will follow.

The exhibit will remain on view through July 31.

For more information:


ChattanoogaNow Sections