The Museum Center at Five Points will be filled with new and vintage quilts when the annual Stitches in Time Quilt Show opens Thursday, Jan. 30, at the museum in Cleveland, Tennessee. The opening ceremony will begin at 6 p.m.
The annual quilt show draws entries from talented needleworkers from around the region. This year's categories were revamped to better support these submissions.
If you go
* What: Stitches in Time Quilt Show
* Where: Museum Center at Five Points, 200 E. Inman St.
* When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays through Feb. 28
* Admission: $5 adults, $4 senior adults and students, free for ages 5 and younger
* For more information: 423-339-5745
Categories for the quilting showcase are: antique quilts (over 50 years old); machine-quilted bed quilts; hand-quilted bed quilts; small, crib and lap quilts; wall hangings; novice (three years or less quilting experience) and youth (16 years or younger) quilts; art quilts; challenge quilts; and nonjudged. There's even an "other" category for quilts that do not fit one of these specified divisions.
Special exhibits will rotate throughout the time that Stitches in Time is on display. That schedule follows:
* Jan. 31-Feb. 8: Quilts of Valor Exhibit
* Feb. 11-15: Beverly Cherry Rotating Exhibit
* Feb. 18-22: T-Shirt Quilt Exhibit
* Feb. 25-29: Dawn Ward Rotating Exhibit
As part of the quilt show, three themed classes are scheduled in February. Anyone wishing to sign up should call 423-339-5745, ext. 105.
* Feb. 8: Quilts of Valor Service Day
* Feb. 15: Quilted Bag Class taught by Beverly Cherry, winner of last year’s Best in Show
* Feb. 22: T-Shirt Quilt Class