Barnes & Noble Hamilton Place is honoring teachers with a Spring Break Educator Appreciation Week, beginning Saturday, April 1. During that week, K-12 educators may use their free Educator Discount Card to receive 25 percent off personal shopping, including books, music, DVDs, toys and games, and 10 percent off select Nook devices and café consumables.
Teachers will also have the opportunity to win a gift basket valued at more than $200 and a $1,000 Barnes & Noble gift card.
In addition to discounts, sales and giveaways, there is a promotion featured each day.
Questions? Call 423-893-0186.
* Saturday, April 1: Oldies and Goodies Author Event, 3 p.m.
Three authors in their 70s and 80s decided it was time for them to write their first books. Roslynne Steinberg, Jerry Summers and Jim Wells will discuss their books, what made them decide that now was the time to write and sign. This event, along with story time at 11 a.m., is a book-fair fundraiser for Children of Joy.
* Sunday, April 2: Celebrate artist Bob Ross, 2 p.m.
An original Bob Ross triptych will be displayed for the first time. There will also be demonstrations of Ross' wet-on-wet technique by Mickey Cline, owner of Happy Little Paintings and a certified instructor in the Bob Ross tradition. Cline's paintings will be raffled during the event. The event is a book-fair fundraiser for art120.org.
* Monday, April 3: Express Yourself, 5 p.m.
A combination seminar that begins with a grant-writing workshop and finishes with a course in body language, taught by Dr. Donna Van Natten, the Body Language Doctor.
* Tuesday, April 4: A Novel Idea Summer Novel Writing Camp for Teens, 5 p.m.
Information session about this program offered in June.
* Thursday-Saturday, April 6-8: Book-fair fundraiser for the librarians of the Hamilton County Department of Education. When customers mention the librarians at checkout, a percentage of their purchase will benefit the Summer Training Institute attended by HCDE librarians. Customers can also go online to BN.com and enter code 12102257 at checkout between April 6 and 13, and those purchases will help the librarians as well.
* Thursday, April 6: Meet Tricycle, a three-legged golden retriever, and Lester Aradi, owner of Horse Creek Stable animal rescue sanctuary in Blue Ridge, Ga., 4 p.m.
They will sign/paw-print copies of their children's book, "Tricycle and Friends."
* Saturday, April 8: Music by Travis Smith, noon.
Smith will perform songs from his CD, "Thinking of You," and sign copies after.
* Saturday, April 8: Spring Fling Author Event, 2 p.m.
Local authors Destiny Auburn, David Beeler, Robert Bradford, J Elliott Kay, Joyce McPherson and Vivian Moore will sign copies of their books.