Glide into the holidays with a visit to Ice on the Landing, Chattanooga's popular ice-skating rink in the gardens of the Chattanooga Choo Choo.
Ice on the Landing will open for this season on Friday, Nov. 15, offering daily wintertime fun and nostalgia through Jan. 20. The 120-foot by 40-foot ice rink is surrounded by gas lanterns, fountains and holiday grandeur in the gardens of the Southside's iconic Choo Choo landmark.
Opening night will be celebrated with live holiday music by organist Buddy Shirk from 6 to 7 p.m. Skating prices remain the same as last year — $10 for adults, $8 children 12 and younger. The fee includes skate rental and a two-hour skate session. Visitors may bring their own skates to the rink, but the admission fee will remain the same.
If you go
* What: Ice on the Landing
* Where: Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St.
* When: 2-9 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 2-11 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturdays, noon-9 p.m. Sundays, Nov. 15-Dec. 18. Holiday hours begin Dec. 19.
* Admission: $10 adults, $8 children ages 12 and younger, fee includes skate rental
* Group rates for parties of 20 or more: $8 adults, $6 children 12 and younger
* Season passes: $100 individuals, $200 family of four pass, covers unlimited skating from Nov. 15-Jan. 20
* For more information: http://www.iceonthelanding.com/
Birthday skating parties and other parties will continue to be offered, with pizza and cupcakes served in the Choo Choo's arcade room prior to skate time.
Those who don't know how to skate won't be left out in the cold.
Carla Pritchard of event producer Chattanooga Presents says Ice on the Landing will offer a basic skills skating course each Saturday morning at 9 a.m., just prior to opening hours. Additionally, the rink has "skate buddies" available for a rental fee of $4, which help rookies move around the rink at an "ice and easy" pace.
Ice on the Landing will offer free hot chocolate to every skater who comes to skate in an Ice on the Landing T-shirt or sweatshirt.
But everyone can take advantage of festive rink-side hot and cold concessions sold from Adelle's Creperie, which will include hot chocolate, cider, chai tea, coffee, soft drinks, water, Nutella crepes, s'mores crepes, ham-and-cheese crepes and a vegetarian crepe.
On Friday and Saturday evenings, some heartwarming cocktails will also be offered.
NOVEMBER SPECIAL EVENTS
* Tuesdays, Nov. 19 and 26: UTC Night, 5-9 p.m., $2 off adult ticket with UTC student ID
* Wednesdays, Nov. 20 and 27: Charitable Wednesday, 5-9 p.m., 20% of skating proceeds benefit Adult and Teen Challenge
* Thursday, Nov. 21: Family Night, 5-9 p.m., children 12 and younger skate free with each paying adult
* Thursday, Nov. 28: Thanksgiving Day skating hours, 2-11 p.m.
Weekly promotions will keep the skating schedule lively. Special events range from Family Night to Pajama Night and the return of the popular Skillet Curling League.
The skillet curlers made their debut last year as a clever Southern spin on the tradition of Bavarian curling. Anyone interested in registering a five-person team (four competitors and one alternate) can contact Tom at email@example.com.
Ice on the Landing will close when outdoor temperatures drop to 20 degrees or lower. For information about early closure due to rain, keep an eye on Ice on the Landing's Facebook page.
Ice on the Landing was named "Best (Outdoor) Ice Rink in Tennessee" in 2018 by Step Outside magazine.
Information, operating hours and activities on the rink are available at www.iceonthelanding.com.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
* What if it rains? Rain does not harm the ice, but a heavy downpour dampens the spirit of skaters. Check Ice on the Landing’s Facebook page for updates on rain closures. If a skating period is stopped by the staff with over half the scheduled time remaining, rain checks for future use will be available.
* Are gift cards sold? Gift cards are available at the rink for any amount over $10.
* What skate sizes are available? Child 8 to adult 14.
* Is Ice on the Landing hiring? The attraction hires lots of temporary help. Anyone interested should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Can a skater leave Ice on the Landing and come back the same day without having to pay again? No.
* Are spectators allowed? Yes. Ice on the Landing has plenty of places to watch your friends and family skate while enjoying a cup of hot chocolate.
* What are acceptable forms of payment? Cash, debit and credit cards. There is an ATM on-site. No personal checks. Company checks will be accepted for large groups.
* Are restrooms available? Yes. Restrooms are in the lobby of the Chattanooga Choo Choo. Skaters must remove their skates if they leave the ice or rubber matted area.
* Can I get my own skates sharpened there? Yes, usually while you wait. There is a $10 charge.
* What type of clothing should be worn? Patrons are advised to dress warmly and dress for the weather. Anyone planning to skate must wear socks. Socks, gloves and hats are sold on-site for those who don’t come prepared.
* Where do personal belongings go? Ice on the Landing has limited storage in lockers for personal belongings. Please plan for any needs. Patrons’ shoes will be held in exchange for rental skates and will be held until the skates are returned.
* Is there a smoking area? No. Ice on the Landing and the gardens are smoke free.
* Do skaters sign a waiver? Yes. Everyone who skates must sign a waiver that they take responsibility for any injuries to themselves and any person under 18 that they accompany.