The Barn NurseryView 5 Photos
* Founded: Originally known as the Barn, the business began in 1960 in a pre-Civil War dairy barn located on McFarland Avenue in Rossville, Georgia, and was bought in the late 1960s by Frank and Wanda Webster who operated the business as a produce stand selling fruits and vegetables.
* Ownership: After the death of Frank Webster in 1980, his son Jim and his wife Cindy took over the business and have operated it since. Cole Webster, the third generation leader, now heads the daily operations.
* Location: Since 1989, the business has been located on a 7.5-acre site along Interstate 24 at the 4th avenue exit at 1801 E. 24th Street
* Growth of the business: At the original Barn location, Jim Webster began adding some hanging baskets to the fruit and vegetable stand and found that they sold well. He later added shrubs and then a variety of trees and bedding plants. The Barn Nursery has grown into one of the top garden centers in the South. In 2009, the business also added the Pottery Outlet and six years ago the retailer began adding gifts and home furnishings.
* Distinctions: The Barn Nursery is the largest independent garden center in Tennessee and was named the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Year in 2016.
* Motto: Great Plants! Great Prices! brought in by "trailer load after trailer load after trailer load!"
* Slogan: "Now, go play in the yard!"