* Location: 147 N. Market St. in North Chattanooga
* History: Established by Monica Smiley in 1975, Monica's Bridal was originally a resort and ready-to-wear shop in Atlanta. But when Smiley fell in love with and married a Chattanooga physician, she and the store relocated to the Scenic City. For years, Chattanooga women would frequent Monica's at its Brainerd Road location in search of upscale attire for special occasions. The trend continued when Steve and Dolores Murphy bought the store and moved it to North Chattanooga in 1997. For 18 years, the Murphy's nurtured the business, adorning Chattanooga's brides and their wedding parties with dresses and gowns. In 2015, they turned the keys over to Allie Holland and Stephanie Palmer. Palmer had been a Monica's employee for years, while Holland's mother was head seamstress at the shop. "I was always hanging around Monica's and joked that Palmer and I would be happy to take it over," Holland says. "When the Murphys decided to retire, it was a natural transition for [us] to purchase the business. We feel really blessed by how the community has embraced us."
* Products: Today, Monica's Bridal operates as a by-appointment-only business for brides in search of high-end pieces in a variety of styles. "We cater to the classic Southern bride," Palmer says. "But we also have edgier pieces with frills, buckles and on-trend colors that the big cities are pumping out."
* Prices: The average price for gowns is between $1,200 and $4,000.
* Website: monicasbridal.com