The Home Builders Association of Southern Tennessee is holding its first-ever fall home show, and organizers are taking it green.
The new show, called the Fall Home and Decor Show, will take place Friday through next Sunday at the Chattanooga Convention Center.
Teresa Groves, executive director of the home builder's association, said people want more information about how to implement green building and design ideas into their own homes.
"(We are trying) to educate the consumer that these are the products that are out there and these are things you can do to your existing home or to your new home to make them more green, to be more energy efficient and have products that are more sustainable," Mrs. Groves said.
This year's special guests include HGTV's Vern Yip, star of "Design Star" and "Deserving Design," and "Flip This House" stars Brian Trow and Peter Pasternack. Mr. Yip will give seminars at the show on Saturday, and Mr. Trow and Mr. Pasternack will give seminars on Sunday.
More than 150 vendors will bring their home and decor products to the show. Vendors include builders, interior designers, flower shops, furniture shops, businesses that sell blinds, shutters, draperies and appliances.
David Smith, owner of Grass & More Outdoor Service in Dalton, said that as a landscaper, most of the products he uses and services he performs on a daily basis are considered "green."
The Tri-State Home Show, held in the spring, has always been a popular event, he said, but adding a home show in the fall allows business owners like Mr. Smith to put their products and services in front of potential customers at a busy time.
"Especially for me, in the fall, (this) is our second busiest time of the year. We are usually busy in the spring and get a lot off the home show in the spring, so I think this will be a good idea to allow some of us to showcase and talk to a lot of people this fall," he said.
Home show guests who purchase $10 tickets will be guaranteed a seat during seminars held by the stars.
For those interested in just browsing the show, tickets are $7, and advance tickets are available at Northwest Georgia Bank locations and at the Chattanooga Convention Center.
Tickets can also be purchased online at the home builders association Web site. Tickets will be sold at the door, with $1 off given for a donation of canned food to the Chattanooga Food Bank.
Fall Home and Decor Show seminars
Friday - 12 to 7 p.m.
* 12:30 to 1:30 Floor Max- Green Trends in Flooring
* 1:30 to 2:30 Home Builders Association - Things to know when Building Your Custom Home
* 2:30 to 3:30 - Southern Lighting - Lighting Treds
* 3:30 to 4:30 - Collier Construction - Green Building
* 4:30 to 5:30 - Dakota Concepts - Kitchen Trends
* 5:30 to 6:30 - Jason Thompson - Christmas Decorating Ideas
Saturday - 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* 11:00 to 12 :00 - Vern Yip
* 1:15 to 2:15 - Vern Yip
* 3:00 to 4:00 - Home and Lawn Care - Choosing the Right Landscape for Your Home
* 4:00 to 5:00 - Owen Carpet - Selecting the Right Green Flooring For Your Home
* 5:00 to 6:00 - Remodelers Council - How to Choose a Professional Remodeler: Best Return on Your Investment
* 6:00 to 7:00 - Classic Cabinetry - Kitchen Trends
Sunday - 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* 2:00 to 3:00 - Brian Trow and Peter Pasternack of "Flip This House"
* 11:30 to 12:30 - Tim Bryant - Interior Design Ideas
* 12:30 to 1:30 - Jason Thompson - Christmas Decorating Ideas
* 3:30 to 4:30 - Home and Lawn Care - Choosing the Right Landscape for Your Home