Weight loss surgery
The Gastric Band Institute will be holding a free seminar on gastric banding (Lap-Band and Realize Band) for people who are 100 pounds overweight. The session will be held 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St. in the Roosevelt Room. Call 580-0830 for reservations.
Erlanger's Chattanooga LifeStyle Centers, 325 Market St., offers these fitness opportunities.
* Zumba fitness combines calorie-burning and body-energizing movements. Eight week session 5:30 p.m. Jan. 14-March 4. Registration $64 per person.
* Eight week Yoga classes begin Monday. Cost is $65 per person. Beginning classes, 5:45-6:45 p.m. Mondays; intermediate classes 5:15-6:15 p.m. Tuesdays; power Yoga noon-1 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays. Bring exercise mat.
*T'ai Chi classes Tuesdays for a 12-week session beginning Jan. 12. Cost for session is $120. Beginning T'ai Chi 6:30-7:30 p.m. and T'ai Chi Qi 8:30-9:30 a.m.
For more information call 778-9400.
* Health workshop "Know Your Numbers" will be presented by Jill Heine of the Chattanooga Health Department, 11 a.m. Friday, at Alexian Brothers Senior Neighbors Center, 190 Depot St., Soddy-Daisy. Learn about blood pressure, cholesterol levels and healthy foods.
* Flexibility and balance classes 11 a.m. on second and fourth Thursdays each month, Alexian Brothers Senior Neighbors, 1000 Newby St. Classes are free for Senior Neighbors and $3 for nonmembers. RSVP to 755-6100.
* Free Lunch and Learn workshop 12 noon, Jan. 19, will focus on Incontinence Solutions and is presented by Michelle Webb, doctor of physical therapy at Memorial Continence Center. RSVP by Jan. 12 to (888) 892-1875.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org