Harris pastor at Harmony Baptist
• Joey Harris, who has served as music leader or pastor in Georgia churches since 1997, has been hired as pastor of Harmony Baptist Church, 3832 Youngstown Road.
He comes to the church from God's Way Baptist in Adel, Ga, which he founded in 2005 and served until coming to Harmony. Prior to that, he was pastor of Hempstead Baptist in Berlin, Ga., from 2002 to 2005. From 1997 to 2001, he served as music leader, Sunday school director, Sunday school teacher and youth leader at Greggs Baptist in Adel, Ga.
Harris received his certificate of ordination from Bible Baptist Church in Live Oak, Fla., and is in the process of completing his requirements for a doctorate in theology through Suwannee River Baptist College in Live Oak.
He and his wife, Missy, have two daughters, Abigail, 4, and Joanna, 2, and are expecting a son, Levi, in May.
• St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 305 W. Seventh St.; today, Bible study, 10:30 a.m., including lunch, and Sunday, Holy Eucharists, 8 and 10:30 a.m., adult forum, 9:15 a.m., choral evensong/reception, 4 p.m.; teaching and preaching by the Rt. Rev. Robert A. Gillies, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney, Scotland; reservations requested for Saturday lunch; donations accepted; 602-5660 or email email@example.com.
• Middle Valley Church of God, 1703 Thrasher Pike, Hixson; 6 p.m. Sunday; chili contest/Super Bowl screening; free but freewill funds benefit Honduran missions project; 843-1539 or 667-0353.
• Tyner United Methodist Church, 6805 Standifer Gap Road; 6 p.m. Sunday; Super Bowl screening; free but participants asked to bring finger food to share; 892-0444.
• Chattanooga First Church of the Nazarene, 5455 North Terrace; 6:30 p.m. Friday; gospel concert by the Noblemen Quartet; 894-5254 or 987-4737.
• First Presbyterian Church, 554 McCallie Ave.; 7-9 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8; seminar, "A Praying Life," offers tools on creating a private prayer life and features Paul Miller, author, co-founder of World Harvest Mission and executive director of seeJesus.net; $15 or $25 per couple, including materials, dessert and continental breakfast; 267-1206 or www.1stpresbyterian.com.
• Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road; 10:30 a.m. Friday, registration, 10 a.m.; Church Women United meeting, with message by Karen Brummer, marketing director at The Terrace, on challenges facing and financial help for aging women.