NOTE: The Netwalking event planned by the Scenic City Women's Network at Collegedale Greenway at 6 p.m. Monday has been canceled due to the extreme heat. Updated at 4:18 p.m. on Monday, August 12, 2019.
* David Phelps: The Dove and Grammy Award-winning tenor, who has performed with the Gaither Vocal Band in addition to solo projects, will be in concert with the Phelps Family Band at 7 p.m. Friday at Calvary Chapel, 3415 S. Broad St. (doors open at 6 p.m.). The concert will feature songs from his latest recording, "Hymnal," as part of his Stories & Songs Tour. Tickets are $25 general admission, $30 artist circle. Buy at www.itickets.com or 1-800-965-9324.
* Inspirations in concert: The award-winning gospel group The Inspirations, from Bryson City, North Carolina, will be in concert at 11 a.m. Aug. 18 at Signal Mountain Church of God, 517 Timberlinks Drive. Dinner will follow. A love offering will be accepted.
* Sunday Afternoon at Simpson: Local family group The Martins (Jim Martin, Pauline Martin and Bobbie Martin Howell) will perform a free concert of sacred, classical and secular music, with guest performers David Friberg (organ) and Megan Herndon (clarinet), at 3 p.m. Aug. 18 at Simpson United Methodist Church, 601 McFarland Ave., Rossville.
* Reunion concert: Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 4100 Highland Ave., continues rehearsals of past and present choir members at 5 p.m. Saturdays for the annual reunion concert at 5 p.m. Aug. 25.
* Let's Sing From Memory: Free social gatherings for those affected by Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia, along with their caregivers, to sing old songs and hymns that may reconnect them to old memories, are 1-2:30 p.m. first and third Tuesdays at Northside Presbyterian Church, 923 Mississippi Ave. Free. For more information: 423-266-1766, http://northsidepresbyterian.org.
* Beat the heat campaign: The Salvation Army is distributing free box fans and water to low-income individuals and families affected by the heat. The Day Center, 800 McCallie Ave., is also open for the homeless, with a hydration station available 9 a.m.-5 p.m. any day that the temperature exceeds 90 degrees. Monetary gifts for box fans and utility bill assistance should be marked "Beat the Heat" and mailed to 822 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403. Or donate online at www.csarmy.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY.
* Name change: Effective July 1, schools in the Greater Collegedale School System — A.W. Spalding Elementary, Collegedale Adventist Middle School and Collegedale Academy — have been consolidated under one name, Collegedale Academy, serving early childhood through 12th grade. The Seventh-day Adventist school has more than 725 students and more than 80 faculty and staff. Questions? Email Angi Howell at email@example.com.
* Pastor anniversary: Orchard Knob Missionary Baptist Church, 1734 E. Third St., will honor the pastor, Carlos Williams and his wife with special events this weekend. A banquet is scheduled at 5 p.m. Saturday, August 10, in the fellowship hall; tickets are $25. A worship celebration at 9:30 a.m. Sunday will feature the Rev. Greene Davidson III, pastor of St. James Baptist Church of Leighton, Alabama, as guest speaker.
* Church anniversary: St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, 2514 Williams St., will celebrate its 130th anniversary Sunday. Ronald Harris, associate pastor of Second Missionary Baptist Church of Chattanooga, will bring the 11 a.m. message on "130 Years of Faith, Family, Friends and Fellowship — Worshiping in Love." The colors for the day are red and white with gold accessories. www.st.paulamechatt.org.
* Special services: Pastor Danny Brown of Athens, Tennessee, will bring the message and his wife, Katie, will sing during services at 6 p.m. Sunday at Oakwood Church of God of Prophecy, 3927 Webb Road. Brown and Oakwood's pastor, Barry Lee, will lead a healing service at 6 p.m. Aug. 18 with Victorious Gospel Singers providing music. On Aug. 25 there will be testimonies from the healing service and a concert by Victorious Gospel Singers. 423-903-3652.
* CANCELED: Netwalking: Scenic City Women's Network sponsors this connection trek along the Collegedale Greenway starting at 6 p.m. Monday. Meet walk leader Linda S. Buckner at 5:45 p.m. behind the Collegedale Library, 9318 Apison Pike. Walk at your own pace. RSVP to 423-698-6262 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Summer revival: Union Hill Missionary Baptist Church, 1800 N. Chamberlain Ave., will be in revival at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 13-15. Guests are Rock Island Baptist Church and Pastor Ron Cook (Tuesday); Miracle Missionary Baptist Church and Pastor Randy Jacks (Wednesday); and Mount Zion Baptist Church and Pastor Leroy Fitch (Thursday).
* Pastor anniversary: Greater Tucker Missionary Baptist Church, 1115 N. Moore Road, will celebrate the fifth anniversary of the pastor and his wife, the Rev. Gary and Cathy Hathaway, Aug. 17-18. Tickets for the banquet, 6 p.m. that Saturday, are $35 adults, $17.50 ages 12 and younger. Purchase 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday-Friday at the church. Guests for Sunday worship include the Rev. Edna Hathaway Lawrence and Good Works Community Church at 10:45 a.m. and Pastor Ternae Jordan and Mount Canaan Baptist Church at 3 p.m. 423-510-9684.
* Lesson & Lunch: Oakwood Church of God of Prophecy, 3927 Webb Road, hosts this program every Wednesday. The pastor's wife, Teresa Lee, leads the lesson at 11 a.m., and lunch follows at noon. 423-903-3652.
* Recovery, a Christ-centered 12-step program for anyone struggling with addictive issues, compulsive behaviors, loss and life challenges, meets each Thursday at Ooltewah United Methodist Church, 6131 Relocation Way. Dinner at 5:30 p.m., worship at 6:15 p.m., open share groups at 7:30 p.m. Child care provided. 423-238-9216, oumclive.org/recovery.
* Brainerd Celebrate Recovery, a 12-step Christ-centered recovery ministry that focuses on healing hurts, habits and addictions, meets every Thursday at Brainerd Baptist Church's East Ridge campus, 1203 Blocker Lane. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., large group at 6:45 and small/open share groups following. Child care provided. 423-313-8888, brainerdbaptist.org/celebrate-recovery.
To be included in Faith Briefs, send information to Life@timesfreepress.com. Listings must be sent by Wednesday morning each week.