Gospel quartet: The Old Time Preachers Quartet performs at Ewtonville Baptist Church, 2420 Old Union Road, Dunlap, Tenn., at 6 p.m. Saturday, then at Pathway Baptist Church, 2830 Woods Cove Road in Scottsboro, Ala., at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday (all times Central).
* Gospel artist Bradley Walker, whose "Blessed: Hymns & Songs of Faith" won a 2018 Gospel Music Association Dove Award as the Bluegrass/Country/Roots Album of the Year, will sing at 11 a.m. Sunday at Providence Baptist Church, 8523 Providence Road, Ooltewah.
* Old-Time Hymn Sing: The Daughters of the Holy Cross will host this evening of singing, focusing on hymns that helped form faith, at 5:30 p.m. Sunday at Anglican Church of the Redeemer, 104 McBrien Road. Sherry Hoppe will accompany on the piano. The hour-long singing will be followed by dessert. 423-892-1101, www.redeemerchattanooga.org.
* Fifth Sunday singing starts at 6 p.m. Sunday at Lookout Valley Baptist Church, 8645 Highway 193 in High Point community of Walker County.
* Christian Karaoke Coffeehouse: Next in the monthly series at Oakwood Church of God of Prophecy, 3927 Webb Road, is 5-8 p.m. Oct. 5. Bring your own soundtrack. Small donation will be taken at the door from anyone older than 10. Concessions available. 423-902-3652.
* Gospel singer: Cody McCarver, a singer, songwriter and actor formerly with Confederate Railroad, will sing some of his gospel hits before the pastor's message at 11 a.m. Oct. 6 at Oakwood Church of God of Prophecy, 3927 Webb Road. Sunday School is at 10 a.m. A spaghetti dinner will follow the service. 423-903-3652.
* U-Church: Lee University's atypical worship series will feature Grammy-nominated gospel artist Travis Green at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 6 in Conn Center on the Cleveland, Tenn., campus. U-Church is free and nonticketed. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-614-8347. Child care: email@example.com.
* Let's Sing From Memory: Free social gatherings for those affected by dementia, along with their caregivers, to sing old songs and hymns that may reconnect them to old memories, are 1-2:30 p.m. first and third Tuesdays at Northside Presbyterian Church, 923 Mississippi Ave. Free. 423-266-1766, http://northsidepresbyterian.org.
The Rev. Kelvert Yonnell Scruggs will be installed as pastor of New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church, 2625 N. Chamberlain Ave., in services at 4 p.m. Sunday. Pastor Ternae Jordan of Mount Canaan Baptist Church will preside. Pastor Wayne Johnson and the congregation of New Hope Baptist Church will be guests.
The Tyner High School graduate earned his bachelor’s degree in social science and master’s degree in education from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. He holds teaching certifications in history, government, geography, economics and sociology. He has taught at Tyner Academy for 25 years.
Scruggs previously pastored Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church in Stevenson, Alabama. Scruggs is a son of the late Rev. Horace and Myra Pullom Scruggs. His father pastored Miracle Missionary Baptist Church.
— Compiled by Lisa Denton
* Yard sale: 8 a.m.-noon Saturday at St. Marks United Methodist Church, 701 Mississippi Ave. Proceeds benefit Youth Group. Coincides with neighborhood yard sale. firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Fall sale: 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, rain or shine, at Fairview United Methodist Church, 2112 McFarland Ave., Rossville. Proceeds benefit local missions, including The Cottage, a residential shelter for teens in Walker, Dade, Catoosa and Chattooga counties. 423-488-4860, 706-866-4194.
* Craft/bake sale: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Cloud Springs Baptist Church, 210 Cloud Springs Road, Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Proceeds benefit church's Golden Agers group. 706-866-0164.
* Craft Market & Quilt Show: Vendors with handmade crafts and baked goods, plus eight Young Entrepreneur booths and Quilt of Valor presentations to veterans, in the gymnasium at Morris Hill Baptist Church, 1804 Morris Hill Road, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 5. Breakfast and lunch available. Free admission and parking. www.morrishillbaptist.org.
* Flea market/bake sale: Hosted by St. John United Methodist Women 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 5 in church's Christian Activity Center, 3921 Murray Hills Drive. Proceeds will go toward UMW mission work.
* Hopefest: Festival focusing on community service 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 5 at Hope Fellowship Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 2000 Twin Cedars Road, Chickamauga, Ga. Includes live music and family activities. Silent auction benefits Sunkissed Acres Horse Rescue. Sales of pumpkins and family photos benefit Bethany Christian Services. Call 404-668-7502 about booth space. www.hopefestga.org.
* Strike Out Homelessness: Sponsors and teams are needed for this bowling fundraiser 2-4 p.m. Oct. 12 at Spare Time Hixson, 5530 Hixson Pike. Proceeds benefit Exodus Ministries, which addresses the root causes of homelessness and helps clients transition to permanent housing. Cost is $200 for teams of five; sponsorship levels vary. Sign up at bowlforexodus.eventbrite.com.
* Homecoming: 10 a.m. Sunday at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 822 Belvoir Ave. Free lunch and family activities to follow. Donations of nonperishable foods are requested to help those in need. 423-629-4661.
* Family and Friends Day during 10:45 a.m. services Sunday at Greater Tucker Missionary Baptist Church, 1115 N. Moore Road.
* Pastor anniversary: Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 4100 Highland Ave., prepares for Pastor Glenn P. Taylor's 11th anniversary celebration in October with Pastor Armond Brown of Fellowship Baptist Church of Oak Cliff in Dallas as guest speaker at at 10 a.m. Sunday.
* Evangelism Conference: Hosted by Fifth Sunday Fellowship at 3 p.m. Sunday at New Sholar Avenue Baptist Church, 1600 Sholar Ave. The Rev. Charles Grant of Lifeway Christian Resources in Nashville speaks on "The Power of the Gospel and Making Disciples."
* Neighborhood block party: Hixson United Methodist Church, 5301 Old Hixson Pike, will host an afternoon of games and family activities, 3-5 p.m. Sunday, rain or shine. Free admission. 423-877-1246.
* Financial Peace University: Cross of Christ Lutheran Church, 3204 Hixson Pike, will begin radio host Dave Ramsey's nine-week class for overcoming debt 3-5 p.m. Sunday. Walk-ins will be accepted. The class has been discounted to $93 (normally $130), and those who attend every class will receive a full rebate at the conclusion (makeup classes offered if needed). 423-877-7447, email@example.com.
* Grief support group: McMinn Senior Activity Center, 205 McMinn Ave., Athens, Tenn., hosts a free Nature of Grief Support Group 9-10 a.m. Tuesday. 423-892-4289.
* Youth ministries: Middle Cross Baptist Church, 4009 Norcross Road, offers Grounded Kids Ministries for ages 3-12 and Student Ministry for ages 13 and up 6:30-7:30 p.m. each Wednesday. Snacks served at 6:20 p.m. 423-877-5742, themiddlecrossbaptistchurch.org.
* Church Women United annual meeting is Friday at Westside Missionary Baptist Church, 4001 Hughes Ave. Registration and fellowship start at 10 a.m.; the business meeting, with election of officers, starts at 10:30 a.m. The program will include a devotional reading followed by a video demonstrating the ways CWU works for all women.
* Ladies Night of Prayer: 6 p.m. Friday at Grace Baptist Tabernacle, 2551 Tunnel Blvd. 423-622-2565.
* Men's Prayer Breakfast: 8-10 a.m. Oct. 5 at Grace Baptist Tabernacle, 2551 Tunnel Blvd. Includes biblical message by a guest speaker and free home-cooked breakfast. 423-622-2565.
To be included in Faith Briefs, send information to Life@timesfreepress.com. Listings must be sent by Wednesday morning each week.