Candy Conversation Hearts may be fine if the sentiments for your valentine are short and sweet: LUV YOU, BE MINE. But for real conversation starters, you might consider a few other heart-shaped options, many available at your favorite fast-food restaurants. Here are some ideas.
- Pizza: The pie makers at several pizza chains will crimp the dough so that your favorite pizza bakes up in a heart shape. Inquire about specials at Papa John's, Papa Murphy's, Pizza Hut and Marco's Pizza. You can expect to pay about $10 for a single topping, but prices and participation will vary.
- Doughnuts: Look for the same dough-pinching tricks for the heart-shaped doughnuts available from Dunkin' and Krispy Kreme. At Dunkin', you can get regular flavors in heart shapes or try one of the special flavors, Cupid's Choice (with strawberry icing) and Brownie Batter. Krispy Kreme has four limited-time flavors including Strawberries & Kreme, Sugar Cookie, Sprinkled and Chocolate Caramel doughnuts in heart shapes.
- Biscuits: Bojangles' Bo-Berry Biscuits are even sweeter when they come in heart shapes. You can get a six-pack of the blueberry biscuits topped with icing for about $4 at participating locations.
- Chicken nuggets: The nuggets aren't changing shape, but you can get them served in a heart-shaped container at participating Chick-fil-A locations. Some stores also will package Chick-n-Minis or Chocolate Chunk Cookies in the festive containers. Just remember that this will be a before-or-after Valentine's Day gift. Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays.
- Steak: Many butchers can accommodate requests for V-shaped cuts of meat. That's the plan at Rusty's Meat Market in Rossville, which is gearing up for Valentine's Day with a complete meal to make at home. Employee Heather Shanks says customers can choose among specially cut New York strip steaks, rib-eyes or filets. The meals also come with 12 shrimp, twice-baked potatoes and other sides, French bread and a triple chocolate fudge cake for dessert. It'll serve two for about $40.
Contact Lisa Denton at 423-757-6281 or firstname.lastname@example.org.