some text
Davida Caylor

A Ringgold, Ga., woman convicted in a case involving an injury to her son's hand and a false photo on Facebook has been sentenced to three years on probation.

A Catoosa County jury convicted Davida Kaye Caylor in March of making false statements to a law enforcement officer, tampering with evidence and obstructing an officer. In addition to the probation, Caylor has to complete 100 hours of community service and pay $1,487.50 in fines and court costs.

Judge Kristina Cook Graham presided over the sentencing hearing Wednesday.

In February 2013, Caylor filed a complaint with the Catoosa County Sheriff's Office against Heritage High School Assistant Principal Eric Beagles, who also served as the school's baseball coach. Caylor told an investigator that Beagles grabbed her freshman son's hand, twisted it and slammed it on his desk during a private meeting.

After the meeting, a Heritage High School nurse wrote in a report that the knuckles on some of the boy's fingers were swollen. An hour later, the nurse noted that the swelling had increased.

But Catoosa County detective Freddie Roden concluded that Beagles did not injure Caylor's son's hand, that the boy got hurt by slamming the back of his own hand against a wall in the school's hallway.

Based on an analysis from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Roden also concluded that a Facebook photo supposedly showing a deep, purple bruise on the boy's hand was fake.

During Caylor's trial in March, Roden testified that Caylor did not actually give him the photo; a school resource officer showed it to him. The detective also said that he was unaware that Caylor's son posted the photo -- not Caylor. In addition, Roden said he never asked Caylor about the picture, that she never told him whether the picture was real.

Caylor's other convictions stem from actions during her arrest for making false statements. Roden said that Caylor tried to hide a phone that contained incriminating evidence against her, and that she also resisted when deputies tried to arrest her.

A jury found her guilty after deliberating for half an hour on March 19.