LINCOLN, Neb. -- The Nebraska National Guard is arming more of its personnel after last week's shooting in Tennessee that killed five service members.
Gov. Pete Ricketts said Monday that he has authorized the Nebraska National Guard to arm more personnel where necessary at its installations, including recruitment offices.
Authorities say 24-year-old Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez fatally shot five service members at a pair of military sites in in Chattanooga before he was killed by police. The first shooting took place at a military recruiting office at a strip mall. Counterterrorism investigators have not released a motive.
Ricketts says his authorization provides additional protections for service members.
Read more about the attacks on Chattanooga military facilities