An apparent domestic altercation led to the shooting death of 47-year-old Timothy Harris on Olive Street in the Avondale community early Sunday morning.

By evening, yellow tape that had cordoned off a crime scene earlier in the day lay on the ground, but Chattanooga police had not released any new information or said whether they had a suspect and Olive Street residents were still uncertain exactly what happened.

Neighbors did acknowledge, however, that there was some sort of a dispute before the shooting outside the older, single story frame home.

Michelle Moore, who lives next door to Harris' home, said Sunday morning that the sound of fighting woke her up just before the shooting around 1 a.m.

"All I heard was 'Daddy, he didn't hit me. Daddy, he didn't hit me,'" Moore said.

Then five gunshots rang out and she heard someone banging on her front door.

"I don't know who was bangin' for help," she said. "When I opened my door, I seen him [Harris] right there laying in the street.

"I watched him take his last three breaths," she said. "I was trying to talk to him."

She said the suspect's truck plowed over a mailbox across the street.

Photo Gallery

Homicide on Olive Street

A policewoman questioned two women sitting on a porch near Harris' house. Others supervised as a white Ram pickup truck was towed from Harris' driveway. The windshield appeared to have been struck by a bullet.

Harris had lived on Olive Street for about three years. He just remodeled his house, Moore said.

He had a wife and a dog, and was hardly home because he worked as a supervisor at Coca-Cola, she said. Harris' wife reportedly arrived after the shooting took place.

Harris was the 26th person to be killed by homicide in Chattanooga this year.

Moore, a mother of three, was thankful her family was not harmed.

"I was just praying to God that it didn't go through my front door," she said.

Her girls asked what happened Sunday morning.

"It'll be okay," she told them. "They just took a good man."