ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
FILE - In this Jan. 18, 2016, file photo, a female Aedes aegypti mosquito acquires a blood meal on the arm of a researcher at the Biomedical Sciences Institute in the Sao Paulo's University in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Aedes aegypti mosquito is behind the large outbreaks of Zika virus in Latin America and the Caribbean. On Friday, July 29, 2016, Florida said four Zika infections in the Miami area are likely the first caused by mosquito bites in the continental U.S. All previous U.S. cases have been linked to outbreak countries. (AP Photo/Andre Penner, File)

The first case of a person infected with the Zika virus has been reported in Hamilton County, according to health department officials.

While the person's identity was no disclosed, health officials say the individual recently returned from a country where the Zika virus is widespread.

"We have expected that a travel-related case would occur within our county and we anticipate there will be more such cases," says Dr. Valerie Boaz, Health Department Medical Director. "What is of paramount importance is that we work to prevent local transmission of the Zika virus."

Health department officials did not reveal the neighborhood where the infected person lives, but said they are now going door-to-door in that neighborhood to see if anyone else has been infected.

About 80 percent of those infected with Zika will experience no symptoms at all, health officials said. The virus will cause only a mild illness in the remaining 20 percent. 

But its effects are often much more severe in pregnant women, sometimes causing birth defects.

The first cases in the U.S. where the virus was probably transmitted by local mosquitoes were reported last week in south Florida.

The virus is generally transmitted by mosquito bites. The virus can be spread locally if someone infected with the virus is bitten by a mosquito that then bites someone else, infecting them as well.

The virus can also be spread through sexual contact.

The Tennessee Department of Health reported 17 cases of Zika have been discovered across the state thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT