Fire caused substantial damage to a home in St. Elmo around 8:30 Monday night. When the first firefighters from Station 14 arrived on the scene at 4118 St. Elmo Avenue, Battalion Chief Chris Willmore said the entire front of the house was on fire.
The fire was quickly spreading into the attic, but the firefighters were able to get inside and stop its advance, saving roughly two-thirds of the structure. Other firefighters worked to protect two neighboring houses because of their proximity. Both homes were spared any serious damage.
Chief Willmore said the homeowner had just arrived home when the fire was discovered. Fortunately, his wife and child got out of the structure without injury. All three will be staying with family.
Captain Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said the fire appears to have started on the front porch, but what sparked the blaze remains under investigation. Chief Willmore said the dollar loss was estimated at $100,000.