Hamilton County Department of Education announced this afternoon the principal assignments for the upcoming school year.
This fall 16 schools across the county will have new principals. Tomorrow the district is expected to announce assistant principal placements.
"Strong school leadership is essential to student success. Great school leaders are the key to ensuring there is an excellent teacher in every classroom," said interim Superintendent for Hamilton County Schools Kirk Kelly. "We are confident that these principals will provide outstanding leadership in their new placements."
In the wake of the rape of an Ooltewah High School freshman, allegedly by three of his basketball teammates in December, the school's Principal Jim Jarvis has been under scrutiny. It is not confirmed at this time if Jarvis is retiring or will be moved into another role in the district.
Robin Copp, principal at Signal Mountain Middle/High School, will be replacing Jarvis at Ooltewah High School.
The new principal at Signal Mountain will be Todd Stinson, who is currently the principal at Merrol Hyde Magnet School, a high-performing school in Hendersonville, Tenn.
Several high-profile principals were recently promoted to posts in the district's central office, leaving vacancies at Normal Park Museum Magnet, Red Bank High School and The Howard School.
Blake Freeman, principal at Soddy Daisy Middle School, will take the reigns at Normal Park. Principal of Dalewood Middle School, Chris Earl, will move to Howard, and Elaine Harper, an assistant principal at Red Bank is promoted to principal.
Here is the full list of the district's new principal appointments:
- Chris Earl – The Howard School
- Steve Henry – Soddy Daisy High
- Robin Copp – Ooltewah High
- Todd Stinson – Signal Mountain Middle/High
- Elaine Harper – Red Bank High
- Blake Freeman – Normal Park Museum Magnet
- Jane Reynolds – Soddy Daisy Middle
- Rashaad Williams – Brown Middle
- Angela Cass – East Ridge Middle
- Arielle Hayes – Dalewood Middle
- Tiffany Earvin – Orchard Knob Middle
- Jeana Turner – Big Ridge Elementary
- Ruthie Panni – Dupont Elementary
- Marthel Young – East Brainerd Elementary
- Cheri Grant-Guerdon – Rivermont Elementary
- Brenda Cothran – Woodmore Elementary
Chattanooga Update: 2010 Hixson murder trial, Tennessee to sue Obama administration and McKenzie Ethridge