ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
map

A 9-year-old girl was badly burned in an early morning house fire that took her grandfather's life, Cleveland, Tenn., police said.

The little girl injured in the fire at 1405 Blythe Ferry Road was taken to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga., said Sgt. Evie West, spokeswoman for the Cleveland Police Department.

West said Paul "Junior" Greene, 56, died of asphyxiation and had pre-existing medical conditions.

Greene's wife, Lisa Green, 50, made it out of the house with her daughter, Holli Saxe, 31, and Saxe's two girls, 11 and 9. The women and the 11-year-old received relatively minor injuries, but the 9-year-old was badly burned, she said.

West said arson investigator Ben Atchley ruled the fire an accident. He hasn't definitively identified the heat source but believes the blaze was started either by smoking materials — a cigarette or a candle — or a space heater, she said.

The home was destroyed, West said.

She said Lisa Greene is with the older child while Saxe went with the younger to the burn center. She had no information on where the family was staying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT