ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

A Sunday afternoon fire at a vacant veterinary clinic on Lee Highway started from a cooking fire on the site.

The clinic was being demolished, and the crew working on the project was using a fire to cook, according to Chattanooga Fire Department captain Chuck Hartung.

Embers from the cooking fire spread to the building, starting a blaze that the fire department extinguished in less than an hour.

Firefighters had to use construction equipment to dig in and break apart some of the rubble to ensure the fire was completely out, Hartung said in a news release.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT