Hixson man accused of killing his son is former sheriff's office employee

Hixson man accused of killing his son is former sheriff's office employee

August 20th, 2018 by Rosana Hughes in Local Regional News

The Hixson man accused of killing his 15-year-old son over the weekend is a former Hamilton County Sheriff's Office employee.

Michael David McElrath (Photo: hcsheriff.gov)

Michael David McElrath (Photo: hcsheriff.gov)

Photo by hcsheriff.gov

Michael David McElrath served as a corrections officer from December 1996 to August 1999, sheriff's office spokesman Matt Lea said Monday. McElrath, 46, resigned in 1999 "to pursue other opportunities."

On Saturday, deputies responded to the 1800 block of Cotter Road just before 10:30 p.m. after a neighbor called 911 and said a naked man was on their porch saying "there's blood everywhere," "call the police" and "I've shot my son."

McElrath admitted to the crime, telling deputies, "I did it, I did it. I'm so sorry. I shot my son. I don't know why," according to court records.

The teen was shot multiple times in his abdomen, according to records. The family dog also was found dead in a hallway, allegedly shot by McElrath.

He was charged with criminal homicide and booked into the Hamilton County Jail, where he remains on a $1 million bond.

McElrath doesn't have any prior criminal history in Tennessee, according to Tennessee Bureau of Investigation records. Records show he and his wife filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in May.

In a separate incident over the weekend, a man was injured in a shooting in the 4700 block of Murray Lake Lane around 3 a.m. Sunday.

Dewayne Stanley

Dewayne Stanley

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

Gary Douglas, 25, was shot once in the abdomen after a man forced his way into the residence, according to court records.

A suspect, 24-year-old Dewayne Stanley, was taken into custody and is charged with attempted first-degree murder, felonious reckless endangerment and especially aggravated burglary.

Stanley was allegedly "kicking at the doors of this residence in an attempt to enter," police stated in court records. And "after gaining entry, the suspect shot the victim after a verbal altercation."

His bond was set at $300,000, and he faces a court hearing on Aug. 24.

Contact staff writer Rosana Hughes at rhughes@timesfreepress.com or 423-757-6327 with tips or story ideas. Follow her on Twitter @HughesRosana.