Get free HIV testing Thursday
WHITFIELD COUNTY, Ga. - Free HIV testing will be offered Thursday at county health departments in Whitfield, Murray, Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, and Pickens counties and at The Living Bridge Center in Dalton on National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day.
National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day aims to focus on how HIV affects gay and bisexual men and what they can do to stay healthy.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says more than 600,000 of the 1.1 million people living with HIV in the U.S. are gay and bisexual men, and 70 percent of new HIV infections are among that group.
For more information, visit the North Georgia Health District website at bit.ly/ngmhaad_FreeTest-NorthGA.
Man dies after stun gun shot by deputies
CHATTANOOGA - The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office says it's investigating after a man died while deputies were taking him into custody.
According to a news release, deputies were called to a disturbance in the 6200 block of Massengale Hollow in Harrison.
They arrived to find Jeremy Allen Conn, 35, causing a disorder, the release states. Conn ran from the deputies and fought them after he was caught, and the officers used a Taser gun to gain control, sheriff's office spokesman Matt Lea wrote in the release.
After shocking Conn, the deputies called an ambulance for a medical review per agency policy, Lea wrote, but Conn became unresponsive before EMS arrived. Deputies performed CPR until the ambulance arrived and took Conn to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The Hamilton County Medical Examiner's Office has been notified and the deputies involved have been placed on administrative leave with pay, which is policy for an in-custody death.
Public invited to parks meetings
NASHVILLE - The public is invited to comment on plans for improvements at Tennessee State Parks at a series of meetings in the region.
The parks system will hold meetings at the following times and locations for parks:
* Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park: 6 p.m. Thursday at the park office/visitors center, 404 Spring Creek Road, Delano
* Old Stone Fort State Archaeological Park: 5-6 p.m. Thursday at the park office/museum, 732 Stone Fort Drive, Manchester
* Red Clay State Historic Park: Thursday, 5:30-7 p.m. at the park office/museum, 1140 Red Clay Park Road SW, Cleveland
* Cumberland Mountain State Park: 5-6 p.m. Oct. 4 at the recreation lodge, 24 Office Drive, Crossville
* Fort Loudoun State Historic Park, 4 p.m. Oct/ 4 at the visitors center, 338 Fort Loudoun Road, Vonore.
See current and proposed plans for parks at https://tnstateparks.com/about/planning-process. Comments will be accepted for 30 days after the meetings at https://stateoftennessee.formstack.com/forms/tspbusiness_plans_comment.