A St. Elmo restaurant is coping with fire damage at the start of the Fourth of July weekend, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to Purple Daisy Picnic Café on St. Elmo Avenue at around 8:50 a.m. Friday to find a large commercial-sized smoker on fire outside the business and a small brush fire that had started behind the building.
The fire was contained to the cooking area of the restaurant, sparing the interior. Officials believe the fire started from grease and that flames extended beyond the smoker to the area around it, including grass, the release states.
No injuries were reported.
The restaurant made a post on Facebook stating it would be shut down for the whole weekend.
"We are sorry to inform you that We will be closed today and the whole weekend of the 4th. We will keep you updated when We can open back up. We are so sorry for the inconvenience," the post states.