This story was updated at 1:08 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020, to add another restaurant
Many area restaurants will salute veterans and active-duty military personnel with free meals or discounts on Veterans Day.
Here's a sampling of the discounts that are out there. Promotions may vary by location.
You'll need to show a military ID to receive the discount.
* Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant: Veterans and active-duty military can choose one free entrée from a special menu at select locations on Nov. 11. In all locations, Abuelo's will donate $1 to Honor Flight for every Chile con Queso appetizer sold. The Honor Flight network provides free transportation to veterans to Washington, D.C., to visit the memorial of the war they fought in.
* Applebee's: Veterans and active-duty military receive a free meal from a special menu on Nov. 11. Dine-in only.
* Bar Louie: Active or retired military get a free craft burger or flatbread on Nov.11. Dine-in only.
* Buffalo Wild Wings: Veterans and active-duty service members get a free order of 10 boneless wings and fries on Nov. 11. The offer is available for dine-in or takeout.
* Chicken Salad Chick: On Nov. 11, veterans and active-duty military will receive a free Chick Special and regular drink.
* Chili's: Veterans and active-duty service members get a free meal from a select menu on Nov. 11. Dine-in only.
* Cracker Barrel: Veterans get a complimentary slice of Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake when dining at any location on Nov. 11. Also, for each Country Fried Turkey Family Meal Basket sold in November, the company will donate a $10 gift card to Operation Homefront, a nonprofit organization that helps military families in need.
* Denny's: Veterans and military personnel get a free build-your-own Grand Slam from 5 a.m. to noon Nov. 11. Dine-in only.
* Dunkin': Veterans and active-duty military receive a free doughnut at participating locations. In-store only.
* Einstein Bros. Bagels: Veterans and active-duty military get a free hot or iced medium coffee on Nov. 11.
* Firebirds Wood Fired Grill: Dine in with a veteran or active-duty service member on Nov. 11 at participating locations and the veteran's lunch or dinner is free. (Free meal must be equal or less than purchased meal.)
* Golden Corral: Through Nov. 30, or while supplies last restaurants will distribute "thank you" gift cards for a free meal and beverage. The cards can be redeemed once by military personnel for lunch or dinner Monday through Thursday through May 31.
* Huddle House: Active military members and veterans get a free MVP Breakfast Platter on Nov. 11 at participating locations.
* Krispy Kreme: Veterans get a free doughnut of choice and coffee on Nov. 11.
* Little Caesars: Veterans and active military get a free Hot-n-Ready lunch combo at participating stores from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Nov. 11.
* Logan's Roadhouse: Between 3 and 6 p.m. on Nov. 11, veterans and military personnel receive a free meal from the American Roadhouse Meals menu.
* McDonald's: Free double cheeseburger, six-piece Chicken McNuggets or Filet-O-Fish for veterans for lunch or dinner. The meal comes with any size drink and small fries.
* Mission BBQ: Veterans and active-duty military get a free sandwich and cake on Nov. 11. Be there at noon to hear the daily singing of the national anthem.
* O'Charley's: Active-duty military and veterans can enjoy a free meal on Nov. 11. Dine-in only.
* Outback Steakhouse: Veterans and active-duty service members get a free Bloomin' Onion and Coca-Cola product on Nov. 11. Offer available for dine-in or to-go (call-in orders only, not available online).
* Red Lobster: Veterans, active-duty military and reservists get a free appetizer or dessert from a select menu on Nov. 11. Dine-in only.
* Red Robin: Veterans and active-duty military who are Red Robin Royalty members can redeem a free Tavern Double Burger with Steak Fries any time between Nov. 12 and Nov. 30 for dine-in or to-go. The offer will be automatically uploaded for members of the program.
* Rodizio Grill: The downtown Chattanooga location will serve veterans and active-duty military a free Full Rodizio with the purchase of an accompanying Full Rodizio meal. Reserve at 423-777-4999.
* Shoney's: Veterans and active-duty service members get a free breakfast bar until 11 a.m. on Nov. 11. Dine-in only.
* Starbucks: Veterans, military service members and military spouses get a free tall (12-ounce) hot brewed coffee at participating stores on Nov. 11.
* Sticky Fingers: Veterans receive a free pulled pork sandwich and fries on Nov. 11. Dine-in only.
* Texas Roadhouse: Restaurants will hand out dinner vouchers in the parking lot from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 11. Veterans and active-duty military can redeem the dinner vouchers when they choose in-store until June of next year.
* Wendy's: Active military and veterans get a free small breakfast combo from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. Nov. 11 at participating locations. Not valid for mobile orders or at kiosk.
Also noteworthy, officials with Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park have announced that entrance fees will be waived at Point Park for all visitors on Veterans Day in honor of those who have served in the armed forces. Park rangers will be available inside the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to answer questions and provide information about the park and the battles fought on Lookout Mountain and in the surrounding area 157 years ago this month.
Email Lisa Denton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Heavy police presence in East Chattanooga after bus hits power pole, neighbors report hearing gunfire