Chattanooga Police Department officers are seen at the scene of a shooting at the Elements of Chattanooga apartment complex on Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020 in Chattanooga, Tenn. / Staff photo by Matt Hamilton

This story was updated at 9:51 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, with more information.

A man died at a local hospital after Chattanooga police shot him while he allegedly brandished a weapon in the 7300 block of Standifer Gap Road following a domestic violence call Tuesday morning.

The man has been identified as 35-year-old Clifton Gorman Spencer Jr.

Two officers were called to the Elements of Chattanooga apartment complex just before 8 a.m. in response to a "disorder with a weapon involved." The officers found the caller who told them the man, who has not yet been identified, was armed with a handgun and she was hiding from him.

The officers then found Spencer in the parking lot with a firearm, police Chief David Roddy told reporters Tuesday morning.

He brandished it "in a threatening manner," according to police.

The weapon was later recovered by investigators at the scene.

"The officers felt that threat and unfortunately had to respond in kind," Roddy said.

The officers then started to render medical aid until an ambulance arrived to take Spencer to a local hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries. Spencer later died from his injuries. No police officers were injured, Roddy said.

As in other Chattanooga police shootings, the Hamilton County District Attorney's Office has tapped the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office to lead the criminal investigation into the shooting.

All of the involved officers have been placed on administrative leave, per Chattanooga Police Department policy, until the internal investigation is completed, according to a news release.

The internal investigation is separate from the criminal investigation and often is put on hold until the criminal investigation has been completed.

Roddy said he hopes to release body camera footage at some point in the future "so our public can see and understand what their officers were confronted with this morning."

Residents were being routed to different entrances and exits Tuesday morning to avoid the area where the shooting took place.

Neighbors gathered from afar to watch the investigation unfold, some asking officers what happened. Roddy said there were no other threats to the community.

Contact Rosana Hughes at 423-757-6327, or follow her on Twitter @HughesRosana.