ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

A patient was burned after a small fire broke out Thursday night at Parkridge Hospital, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.

The patient apparently was trying to light a cigarette when she caught the hospital bed on fire, according to the release. She is being treated for burns at the hospital and the extent of her injuries are unknown.

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a fire alarm at the hospital on McCallie Avenue just after 9:30 p.m.

The fire on the second floor of the hospital was out when firefighters arrived, but there was a light haze in the hallway. Firefighters had patients shelter in place in their rooms while they worked to ventilate the smoke and stop the sprinklers.

Firefighters then cleared the smoke and began assisting with controlling water damage.

Patients have been moved to another part of the hospital, the release stated.

— Compiled by Jody Park

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT