ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Contributed Photo by Chattanooga Fire Department / Smoke is pictured on the scene of a house fire on the 1200 block of Franklin Drive on Thursday.

Neighbors helped members of a Chattanooga family escape after a kitchen fire trapped them on the second story of their home on Thursday afternoon, according to a news release.

Officials were called to the home in the 1200 block of Franklin Drive at 4:30 p.m. after smoke was seen coming from the building.

While some of the occupants of the home were initially able to get out of the house, a man and girl were trapped upstairs.

One neighbor convinced the girl to jump from a second-story window into his arms and then worked with another neighbor to bring a trampoline under another window for the man to jump onto.

Once the Fire Department arrived, firefighters found heavy smoke and flames. The man who jumped onto the trampoline recalled the smoke inside to be so thick he had difficulty even locating a window.

It took firefighters less than 20 minutes to get the cooking fire that was mostly contained to the kitchen under control.

Two adults and six children were displaced, and no injuries were reported.

"We commend the heroic neighbors who stepped up to save lives in this terrifying and dangerous situation," the Fire Department said in a release. "Their fast thinking, resourcefulness and bravery were remarkable."

The department also asked that residents avoid driving over fire hoses when present.

"As crews were launching firefighting operations and working to establish a water supply, several drivers going past the location drove over the fire hoses," the release states. "Please do not do this. It could potentially damage the lines and impede on efforts to attack the fire, endangering firefighters and any victims who could still be inside. It can also cause damage to your vehicle and leave you with a citation."

— Compiled by Tierra Hayes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT