Summers and Robbins: Pearl Harbor attack left football behind

Summers and Robbins: Pearl Harbor attack left football behind

December 3rd, 2017 by Jerry Summers and Mickey Robbins in Opinion Columns

At left, members of Willamette University's football team pose for a team photo.

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

In this Dec. 7, 1941, file photo, smoke rises from the battleship USS Arizona as it sinks during a Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

In this Dec. 7, 1941, file photo, smoke...

Photo by Associated Press /Times Free Press.

On the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, Army Pfc. George Allen was on K-P duty peeling potatoes at the Pearl Harbor naval base. Little did Allen, now a 94-year old Bradley County resident, know that he had a front-row seat to the outbreak of World War II — or that the Willamettte Bearcats who had just played football against the University of Hawaii Warriors would be caught in the tumult.

At the end of their 1941 season, Willamette University players left Salem, Ore., to compete in Honolulu's Shrine Bowl in a round robin with the San Jose State Spartans and the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors. The Willamette party boarded the luxury liner Lurline in San Francisco on Nov. 27. Besides lacking a stadium, the Bearcats' squad of only 28 players had to play both offense and defense but won seven of its eight seasonal games.

The trip over was "a pretty rough crossing. Some of the guys lost a lot of weight . I think I ate only one meal that I was able to keep down the whole time on the ship," commented one player. Having left Oregon in near-freezing weather, the young men were not ready for the 80-degree temperature in Hawaii.

Read more Chattanooga History Columns

A capacity crowd of 24,000, one-tenth of the local population, filled Honolulu Stadium for the first game of the Bearcats against the Warriors. A fullback from the mainland reflected, "It was a hard-fought game. They were bigger than we were, but we played them well for about three quarters. We actually scored first, but then they pulled away in the final period. We still had our sea legs. Some of us were seasick coming over. It was warm, and we just ran out of gas." Hawaii's Warriors beat the Williamette Bearcats 20-6.

On the next morning, Dec. 7, some Willamette players had planned picnics while others were looking forward to a bus trip to the North Shore or a visit to the Pearl Harbor naval base. A co-captain reflected that they "were sitting on the lanai of the Moana Hotel (10 miles from Pearl Harbor) having breakfast and watching the giant spouts of water going up in the ocean. He told his team he thought the Navy was having maneuvers. Then all hell broke loose."

Another player surmised it was no practice: "It was a lot of smoke and noise in the air from the direction of Pearl Harbor. I saw overheard these planes flying; they had a red ball under one wing. I knew they were Japanese." Three others had left earlier for a drive with University of Hawaii coeds and watched the scene from a hilly area overlooking Pearl Harbor. One player later told his hometown newspaper, "Planes were diving. We could see the battleship Oklahoma capsizing. It was horrible."

Word spread that night of the losses at Pearl Harbor, and authorities declared a state of emergency. Rumors of follow-up attacks were rampant. Police in Honolulu, working with the U.S. military, discovered a ready source of able-bodied volunteers. Williamette players were given Springfield M 1903 rifles from World War I and paired off with soldiers and local police officers for patrol duty. Others were assigned to guard Punahou High School, where ammunition had been moved after "the U.S. engineers got bombed out of their headquarters."

The Dec. 13 and Dec. 16 Shrine Bowl games were forgotten, but a second Japanese onslaught never came. The break for the Willamette team came 10 days later when the S.S. President Coolidge arrived with wounded soldiers from the Philippines, which had been attacked by the Japanese on Dec. 8. The Pearl Harbor wounded were loaded onto the Coolidge for the trip to hospitals in California. The Willamette coach negotiated for most of his players to watch over the injured soldiers in exchange for passage home. Zigzagging across the Pacific to avoid any Japanese torpedo attacks required an extra three days (seven instead of four) to reach San Francisco. The ship arrived on Christmas Day, a month after departure.

Several Bearcats stayed behind and joined the Honolulu police force. One explained, "I had been making 36 cents an hour working on a farm at home. We were offered $155 a month to stay. Good money at the time."

Most of Willamette's football players joined the military. All but one returned home after the war.

Jerry Summers is an attorney with Summers, Rogers and Rufolo. Frank "Mickey" Robbins is an investment adviser with Patten and Patten. For more visit

Getting Started/Comments Policy

Getting started

  1. 1. If you frequently comment on news websites then you may already have a Disqus account. If so, click the "Login" button at the top right of the comment widget and choose whether you'd rather log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, or a Disqus account.
  2. 2. If you've forgotten your password, Disqus will email you a link that will allow you to create a new one. Easy!
  3. 3. If you're not a member yet, Disqus will go ahead and register you. It's seamless and takes about 10 seconds.
  4. 4. To register, either go through the login process or just click in the box that says "join the discussion," type your comment, and either choose a social media platform to log you in or create a Disqus account with your email address.
  5. 5. If you use Twitter, Facebook or Google to log in, you will need to stay logged into that platform in order to comment. If you create a Disqus account instead, you'll need to remember your Disqus password. Either way, you can change your display name if you'd rather not show off your real name.
  6. 6. Don't be a huge jerk or do anything illegal, and you'll be fine.

Chattanooga Times Free Press Comments Policy

The Chattanooga Times Free Press web sites include interactive areas in which users can express opinions and share ideas and information. We cannot and do not monitor all of the material submitted to the website. Additionally, we do not control, and are not responsible for, content submitted by users. By using the web sites, you may be exposed to content that you may find offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of the Times Free Press web sites and any content on the Times Free Press web sites, including, but not limited to, whether you should rely on such content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you acknowledge that we shall have the right (but not the obligation) to review any content that you have submitted to the Times Free Press, and to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content that we determine, in our sole discretion, (a) does not comply with the terms and conditions of this agreement; (b) might violate any law, infringe upon the rights of third parties, or subject us to liability for any reason; or (c) might adversely affect our public image, reputation or goodwill. Moreover, we reserve the right to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content at any time, for the reasons set forth above, for any other reason, or for no reason. If you believe that any content on any of the Times Free Press websites infringes upon any copyrights that you own, please contact us pursuant to the procedures outlined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (Title 17 U.S.C. § 512) at the following address:

Copyright Agent
The Chattanooga Times Free Press
400 East 11th Street
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Phone: 423-757-6315