Raney: Wauhatchie Pike was moonshine motorway

Raney: Wauhatchie Pike was moonshine motorway

December 31st, 2017 by Suzette Raney in Opinion Columns
A law enforcement officer guards a raided still.Staff File PhotoDade County deputy sheriffs in the early 1980s examine a massive still found in the Big Woods community of Sand Mountain.

A law enforcement officer guards a raided still.Staff...

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

Prohibition brought on an era of bootlegging, stills and hidden bars. Sand Mountain in particular was a "cradle of moonshine," according to R.R. Connell in a 1920 article, and to get their product to market, bootleggers traveled Wauhatchie Pike the entire way into St. Elmo.

Running liquor could be perilous as bootleggers and lawmen often clashed. The Chattanooga Times (Sept. 9, 1919) noted that "officers of the law state that a blockade runner or a bootlegger is the most desperate and daring of law violators ... ." That year a total of three runners were killed evading the law on Wauhatchie Pike.

All three died within a half mile of each other, at the foot of Lookout Mountain. Wiley Thomas was killed by several bullets while transporting whiskey. Fitney Chunn was shot when he and his partner quarreled over whiskey brought from Sand Mountain in Chunn's automobile.

The third death involved the Love brothers, Clyde and Rube, of Alton Park, and Charles Morrison, special deputy sheriff, carrier and band leader. Reuben (known as Rube) K. Love lost his life on Wauhatchie Pike when Morrison shot him during a moonshine run. Rube, who lived at 28 Hooker Road was a glass worker at the Chattanooga Bottle and Glass Manufacturing Co.

Read more Chattanooga History Columns

Deputy Morrison had tipped off Sheriff Bass that the Loves would be coming one night with at least 60 gallons of moonshine into Chattanooga on Wauhatchie Pike. The sheriff sent two officers to ambush the Loves as they came into town. Meanwhile, the sheriff and Deputy Morrison left the county jail with guns loaded with buckshot. Sheriff Bass reached the scene and parked his car across the road. He stationed Morrison next to the car while he stood 50 yards up the pike.

Two hours later the two lawmen spotted headlights. The sheriff called for the car to halt. The vehicle sped up and veered as if to pass the sheriff's parked car. Both the sheriff and the deputy fired. The car wrecked. The officers had intended to shoot to stop the vehicle. Upon opening the door, Sheriff Bass found Rube Love, dead with a shot to the head, and a back seat filled with 12 five-gallon drums of whiskey. A second car came after the first, but the officers found nothing, and the vehicle was allowed to pass. The lawmen later learned the occupants of the second car, a Ford, to be Clyde Love, brother of Rube, and Oliver P. Wilson, the driver. The cars had been searched earlier by Dade County Sheriff W.H. Cross.

Deputy Sheriff Morrison and the Loves had developed bad blood from past encounters. Morrison had prosecuted Clyde and Reuben for car theft in 1918, and the Love brothers were convicted of stealing Morrison's Ford. Morrison at that time pulled a pistol on one of the Loves and was arrested but released since he held a warrant to carry. Since that incident, rumors of the Loves running liquor had circulated widely around Alton Park, though Alton Park Mayor Dr. J.P. Hager told the newspaper that he had "never been told of receiving complaints that the Loves were selling liquor."

Deputy Morrison shot Reuben Love on Wauhatchie Pike just west of the town limits of St. Elmo. Morrison was charged with murder and placed under $2,000 bond. As the details of the case developed, it was learned Clyde Love had hired two large Ford automobiles for that night's haul. At issue in the case against the deputy was his position when he fired. To kill Rube Love, the shotgun charge would have been fired from a shoulder of a standing man and not on the ground. The Chattanooga Times reported "Sheriff Bass' statement was that Morrison stumbled before he fired and fell and that he regarded the killing as accidental on that account."

More than 100 glassblowers in the union attended Reuben Love's funeral. He left a wife and one daughter and was buried in Forest Hills Cemetery. His brother, Clyde, died in 1955 and also was buried in Forest Hills.

The result of the case against Special Deputy Morrison was never publicized. It is known that numerous stills and "easy money" made running moonshine highly profitable, despite the possibility of fatal consequences. As Attorney General Will Chamlee told the paper after Chunn's death in 1919, "It has come to pass where human life is twice as cheap as liquor."

Suzette Raney is the archivist of the Chattanooga Public Library. For more information, call the library at 423-643-7725 or visit Chattahistoricalassoc.org.

Getting Started/Comments Policy

Getting started

  1. 1. If you frequently comment on news websites then you may already have a Disqus account. If so, click the "Login" button at the top right of the comment widget and choose whether you'd rather log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, or a Disqus account.
  2. 2. If you've forgotten your password, Disqus will email you a link that will allow you to create a new one. Easy!
  3. 3. If you're not a member yet, Disqus will go ahead and register you. It's seamless and takes about 10 seconds.
  4. 4. To register, either go through the login process or just click in the box that says "join the discussion," type your comment, and either choose a social media platform to log you in or create a Disqus account with your email address.
  5. 5. If you use Twitter, Facebook or Google to log in, you will need to stay logged into that platform in order to comment. If you create a Disqus account instead, you'll need to remember your Disqus password. Either way, you can change your display name if you'd rather not show off your real name.
  6. 6. Don't be a huge jerk or do anything illegal, and you'll be fine.

Chattanooga Times Free Press Comments Policy

The Chattanooga Times Free Press web sites include interactive areas in which users can express opinions and share ideas and information. We cannot and do not monitor all of the material submitted to the website. Additionally, we do not control, and are not responsible for, content submitted by users. By using the web sites, you may be exposed to content that you may find offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of the Times Free Press web sites and any content on the Times Free Press web sites, including, but not limited to, whether you should rely on such content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you acknowledge that we shall have the right (but not the obligation) to review any content that you have submitted to the Times Free Press, and to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content that we determine, in our sole discretion, (a) does not comply with the terms and conditions of this agreement; (b) might violate any law, infringe upon the rights of third parties, or subject us to liability for any reason; or (c) might adversely affect our public image, reputation or goodwill. Moreover, we reserve the right to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content at any time, for the reasons set forth above, for any other reason, or for no reason. If you believe that any content on any of the Times Free Press websites infringes upon any copyrights that you own, please contact us pursuant to the procedures outlined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (Title 17 U.S.C. § 512) at the following address:

Copyright Agent
The Chattanooga Times Free Press
400 East 11th Street
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Phone: 423-757-6315
Email: webeditor@timesfreepress.com