A scary escape from a home fire

A scary escape from a home fire

February 17th, 2011 in Opinion Free Press

What would you do if your home were on fire?

It's scary even to consider such a situation. But home fires do occur, often with tragic results.

In one frightening case this week, quick, heroic action by 26-year-old Andre Sharpe reportedly averted a potential tragedy.

Chattanooga firefighters reported that Sharpe and a friend happened to spot a house ablaze on 13th Street Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. Commendably, Sharpe took speedy action.

He broke a bedroom window -- with his fists -- and carried five-months-pregnant Angela Vasquez out of the fire danger and to safety on the porch of a nearby house.

She and her timely rescuer reportedly were treated for relatively minor cuts and abrasions.

The burning house was nearly engulfed in flames, which threatened another house, when firefighters arrived.

Just think what "might have been" if Sharpe had not acted as he did!

Sadly, some other recent house fires in Chattanooga have claimed lives, so it would be a good idea for all of us to consider what we might do in case of a fire in our home.

It's good to have smoke and fire alarms, of course, and to change their batteries regularly. It's also wise to have a fire extinguisher. But most important of all, it's smart to think coolly, when no emergency is occurring, about how we would get ourselves and our loved ones out of our home in case of fire -- and to settle on a plan of action.

After all, there is not always a brave passer-by handy to carry victims to safety.