A recent writer, presuming to expose the GOP for lacking a moral conscience, asserted the party "seemingly supports ripping children from their families and locking them in cages." This, from someone who apparently ignores the other party's support of ripping unborn children from their mothers' wombs? The problem here is not political but moral.
The glaring hypocrisy of moral fervor rooted in moral mishmash is aptly described in Matthew's gospel: "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" This subjective moral code of personal preference (more likely ignorance) reminds me of Matthew Arnold's description in "A Summer Night" of the "liberty" of a self-made despot sailing on chaotic seas where "Trade-winds cross it from eternity." It also reminds me of Shakespeare's Claudius in "Hamlet," who becomes a "king of shreds and patches."
How refreshing it would be to read letters from those who could distinguish moral rot from political tribalism.
One idea to pay for Medicare for All
Why hasn't anyone come out with a plan on a better way to pay for Medicare for All ?
I currently have money taken out of my retirement check each month to pay for my Medicare. Everyone who draws a paycheck could have, say 3 percent or 6 percent taken out, and Medicare would pay 80 percent of all doctor and hospital bills. Anyone could then purchase a private policy to cover the remaining 20 percent. This is just a basic idea but could be trimmed up.
This would apply to everyone, no exceptions.
Be very careful in choosing cartoons
Concerning some of the cartoons from recent editorial pages: While I am not an expert on what defines a cartoon, I do know what I like. To me, an editorial cartoon should be funny, or provocative, but not offensive. Lately, so many of your choices have been offensive.
It is a shame that someone with the obvious artistic ability as Clay Bennett should choose to limit himself to such biased attacks. Our great country does have "freedom of speech," and I applaud Bennett's use of it. I only regret that he chooses the low road on which to exercise it.
As editors, you have a platform to influence many, many people. Some are rational, and some of these people are poorly educated yet highly emotional. Be careful how you stir the pot of public opinion — it may boil up and spill out in a way not expected.
Don't worry, abort; it's not in Bible
Who are Adam Lanza, James Holmes, Dylann Roof, Jared L. Loughner, Wade Michael Page, Patrick Henry Sherrill, George Hennard, James Oliver Huberty, Andrew Kehoe, Jeff Weise, Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris, Timothy McVeigh, Charles Whitman, James Pough, Charles Roberts, James Kopp, Michael F. Griffin, Paul J. Hill, Scott Roeder, Stephen Paddock, Robert Dear Jr., Devin Kelley, Richard Speck, Nikolas Cruz, Ian David Long and James Holmes?
Answer: charged or convicted mass murderers.
People worry that Albert Einstein might have been aborted. I think the victims of the above list would have considered abortions of the above a fair trade.
God had 788,280 words in the King James Bible to call abortion murder but didn't. God will not punish you for something not in the Bible. Revelation 22:18-19: "Do not add to what I command " Abortion isn't in the Bible — divorce is.
A fetus is still part of the woman's body — not a separate person. Premature babies at 22 weeks have a less than 10-percent survival rate due to underdeveloped lungs and near 0 percent chance of surviving without serious physical and mental problems. That's God's will.