People interested in participating in the Aug. 5 elections have until Tuesday to get it in gear and register to vote.
It's easy enough to register for the county general and state primary election, according to Hamilton County Elections Administrator Charlotte Mullis-Morgan.
Anyone who is 18 and has been a legal resident of Hamilton County for 30 days -- and can prove it with a driver's license or utility bill -- can go to the Hamilton County Elections Commission office or any of the offices maintained by the Hamilton County clerk to register, she said.
Mrs. Mullis-Morgan said people doing something as ordinary as renewing their driver's licenses at a county office can pick up a voter registration form.
* Deadline: Tuesday
* Requirements: Must be 18 years of age, a Hamilton County resident for 30 days and have proof of residency such as a driver's license or a utility bill.
* Where to register:
* Hamilton County Election Commission Office, 700 River Terminal Road
* Hamilton County Clerk's offices, 625 Georgia Ave., Room 201 or 101
* Tag and Title Office, Bonny Oaks at 6135 Heritage Park Drive
* Address change: Deadline for voter address change is July 31, if already registered
There are 207,000 registered voters in the county, she said, and new registration cards arrive daily at her office.
She said she did not have a total of how many voters had registered for the Aug. 5 election, but that she would have the information after Tuesday.
The commission still is counting registration cards, she said.
"Once someone registers to vote, we send out registration cards, once they're in our system," she said.
County Clerk Bill Knowles, himself a candidate for re-election this year against Robert Chester Heathington Jr., said all nine of his office locations are stocked with registration cards.
Going to get married? You can register. Getting a hunting or fishing license? You can register.
"That's our goal, to have them at every office," Mr. Knowles said. "We just have them available."
Continue reading by following this link to a related story: