Andy Morgan of Dayton, Tenn., slipped a little from his top perch Saturday in the FLW Tour bass tournament on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky, but only a little. The days one and two leader is second with 51 pounds, 1 ounce — 7 ounces behind Bryan Thrift of Shelby, N.C., who weighed 18-11 on day three. Morgan's bag totaled 16-6. The top 10 pros go out one more time this morning, and they're all within 6 pounds of the lead in the quest for what could be a $125,000 payday. In the last five seasons, Morgan has been the FLW Tour angler of the year three times and Thrift once.
* The Southern Conference announced Saturday the pairings and times for its tennis tournaments next weekend at the Champions Club in Chattanooga, and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women are seeded fourth after falling 4-3 Saturday at eighth seed UNC Greensboro. UTC faces fifth seed Mercer at 1 p.m. Friday, while UNCG challenges top seed Furman. The 3 p.m. matches pit third seed Samford against Western Carolina and No. 2 seed East Tennessee State against Wofford. The UTC men are seeded seventh and play Friday against No. 2 seed Mercer at 10:30 a.m., when third seed Furman faces Wofford. Top seed ETSU meets The Citadel at 8:30, while No. 4 seed UNCG takes on Samford. The men's semifinals are set for 10 a.m. Saturday, the women's at 2 p.m. The championship matches are 1 p.m. Sunday.
* Covenant College lost 5-4 to Methodist in the USA South men's tennis semifinals Saturday at LaGrange, Ga., and finished the season 15-5. Methodist (15-7) is ranked 16th to the Scots' 17th in the ITA Division III Atlantic South Region. Covenant's all-conference duo of Matthew Harvie and Chris Cox won 8-2 at No. 1 doubles and in straight sets at Nos. 1 and 2 singles, and Logan Hill at No. 3 won 6-1, 6-2.
Track & Field
* University of Tennessee at Chattanooga junior Haley Morris won the 3000-meter steeplechase Saturday in Western Carolina's Beynon Catamount Classic track and field meet. It was her first steeplechase of the season, and she finished in 11:48.89 — 36 seconds ahead of the runner-up. The Mocs' Abby Bateman was fifth in the 800.
* Lee University's scheduled Gulf South baseball doubleheader Saturday at Delta State was rained out. The teams will try to play two games today. Sewanee's Southern Athletic Association home doubleheader — and senior day — was rained out as well. Those games will not be made up, as the SAA tournament starts Thursday.
* Bryan College lost 13-11 to Union College on Saturday after winning 12-8 and 9-5 in the Appalachian Athletic Conference baseball series Friday. Lake Burris was 3-for-4 and scored three runs, Fernando Garcia was 3-for-5 with two RBIs and two runs and Rodney Tennie also had two RBIs in the first win for the Lions (32-11, 16-5). Garcia homered and doubled and drove four runs in game two, when Wade Weinburger also homered and scored three times and David Scoggins had two RBIs.
* Tennessee Wesleyan completed an AAC sweep of Truett McConnell with a 12-2 win Saturday. Tristan Clarke was 2-for-3 with two homers and three runs scored, Braden Mosley was 2-for-3 with a homer and five RBIs and Alfred Cruz and Aloysius Cruz also homered for the Bulldogs (27-17, 16-5).
* Cleveland State won 9-1 and 6-4 Friday at Southwest Tennessee and now is 31-14, 11-9 in the TCCAA. Saturday's game was rained out. Hooper Mills pitched a three-hitter with 11 strikeouts in the first game, and Logan Peterson homered and doubled and scored two runs while Joey Roberson was 3-for-4 with two RBIs and two runs. Cameron Hankins and Rhett Baldwin each was 2-for-4 and scored a run, Hankins driving in two. Roberson was 2-for-4 with three RBIs and Noah Hill was 3-for-4 in game two, when Hunter Oliver was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and Peterson also scored twice and was 2-for-4 along with Cameron Payne, Trey Vanderpool and Baldwin.
* Tennessee Wesleyan beat visiting Brenau 27-0 in AAC women's lacrosse Friday and won 15-5 Saturday at Asbury. Friday, Mikayla Virden and Emily Waldroup scored six goals apiece, Virden with an assist and five ground balls and Waldroup with six ground balls and seven draw controls, while Margaret Waite and Florence Andrieu had four goals each, Waite with two assists and 11 draw controls. Grace Passantino had three goals and three assists. Saturday, Waldroup had five goals and Virden had four plus an assist for TWU (11-4, 9-1).
* The Wesleyan men beat Montreat 17-13 Saturday with six goals and three assists from Roderick Williams and three goals apiece from Dalton O'Connell Zradicka and Jacob Brown. TWU is 7-7, 4-2 in AAC play.
* Sewanee lost 14-12 to visiting Berry (12-3, 5-1) in SAA men's lacrosse Saturday. Will Pratt had five goals and an assist and Hayden Hunt had three assists with two goals in defeat for the Tigers (8-6, 4-2). Jake Vaughn and Thomas Lynde each scored two goals as well.
* Playing as an individual in USA South men's golf tournament, Covenant's Nathan Hawkins finished tied for 26th with a 79 Saturday at Highland Country Club in LaGrange, Ga. His 54-hole total was 233.