Lee University announced Thursday the addition of Hartsville, Tennessee, resident Trey Melvin to the men's golf 2020 recruiting class. The Wilson Central High School senior also considered King and NCAA Division I member Tennessee Tech before signing with the Flames. Impressed with the Lee campus and the golf facilities, he said in a school release that he believes he "can grow academically and athletically there. I knew Lee could give me the tools to be successful on and off the golf course." He is the 2019 Schooldays champion and had top-five finishes in three Sneds Tour events, including one at Cleveland Country Club. "I'm very impressed with Trey, and I think he's going to bring a lot to our program," Flames coach John Maupin said. "He's a tough competitor, isn't afraid to work hard and will be a great teammate. He's competed in a lot of events over the past year and has shown the ability to shoot some red numbers, and he keeps getting better."
* Lee junior midfielder Jared McWhorter made the United Soccer Coaches' NCAA Division II All-South Region second team for 2019. The teams were announced this week. McWhorter, the Gulf South Conference offensive player of the year, had eight goals and three assists in addition to his distribution and defensive contributions this season. "This is such a quality region, with plenty of top players, so it's quite a compliment for Jared to be a part of this all-region team," coach Derek Potteiger said in a Lee release. "He is hungry for even more in 2020." The Flames went 12-4-5 and reached the NCAA tournament for the first time.
* Henry Bethel of Dalton's Carpet Capital club was seventh in the boys' 200-yard individual medley Thursday at the Speedo Winter Junior National-East meet in Atlanta, and the Baylor Swim Club's Ellie Waldrep had two 19th-place finishes — in the girls' 200 IM and with Lillie Boggs, Jewel Gordon and Logan Watson-Brown in the 4x100 medley relay. The four had finished seventh in the 4x50 medley relay the day before, when Carpet Capital's Ross Valdez, Roman Valdez, Jonathan Shaheen and Bethel were eighth in the 4x200 freestyle relay and 14th in the 4x50 medley. They were 15th in the 4x100 medley Thursday, when McCallie/GPS Aquatics' Will Jackson was 22nd in the 500 free, two seconds faster than his winning time in the 2019 high school state meet.
* Dalton State College moved up two places to No. 19 in the NAIA Division I men's basketball rankings this week, and Wednesday night the Roadrunners improved to 9-1 with a 71-61 with at Life (9-3), which is two slots out of the Top 25. Kevon Tucker scored 31 points with four 3-point baskets and Randy Bell had 15 points for DSC. Sean Cranney made four steals.
* Tennessee Wesleyan defeated the visiting Point women 73-60 but lost 99-95 to the Point men in an Appalachian Athletic Conference doubleheader Wednesday. Jordan Wright had 22 points with four 3s and Savannah Atkins and Kaitlyn Strange scored 13 and 10 for TWU's Lady Bulldogs (4-6, 4-4). Leaders for the Bulldogs (5-6, 3-6) were Lorenzo Gatling with 6-of-8 3-point shooting and 24 points, Ty Patterson with 23 points, nine rebounds and five assists and Dominique Oggs with 18 points, four 3s and seven rebounds. Bryant Bernard scored 14 points.
* Britnay Gore had 24 points and 12 rebounds and Charisma Barner had 20 points, 16 rebounds and five assists as the Cleveland State women downed the Covenant junior varsity 96-29 Wednesday on Lookout Mountain. Kyeshia Dalton contributed 13 points, eight rebounds and six steals and Asjah Harrell had seven assists for the Lady Cougars (6-5), who got 12 and 11 points from Kaitlyn Goodman and Za'kkria Robinson and 10 plus five assists and four steals from Cassidy Nihoff.
* The Southern Athletic Association announced its fall-sports all-sportsmanship awards this week, and Sewanee was represented by freshman Joseph Brown from Cleveland and senior Elizabeth Chandler for cross country, sophomore Buckley Norman for field hockey, versatile senior Micah Maes for football, seniors Reid Turner and Mena Kerrison for soccer and junior Haley Gauthier for volleyball.