University of Tennessee at Chattanooga sophomore golfer Esme Hamilton shot a program-record 65 for a two-stroke first-round lead Friday in the Princess Anne Invitational tournament in Virginia Beach, and the Mocs were third as a team at par 280. Virginia Tech led the 15-team field with a 276, and LSU shot 279. Hamilton's 5-under score included an eagle, four birdies and one bogey. Also for UTC, Maddy McDanel was tied for 12th at 70 and Rheagan Hall and Kirsty Beckwith shot 72 and 73.
* Dalton residents Vance Embry and David Noll Jr. each won twice Friday and will play Saturday morning in the quarterfinals of the 2019 Atlanta Amateur Match Play Championship at Rivermont Golf Club in Johns Creek, Georgia. Both face Johns Creek players. Embry, the qualifying medalist and No. 2 seed, is matched with 10th seed Harrison Mink; four-time champion Noll, the No. 13 seed, takes on No. 12 Connor McKinnon. Noll won 4 and 2 over the No. 20 seed and 4 and 3 over No. 4. Embry won 5 and 4 and then needed 21 holes to get past 18th seed Brandon Price of Canton. The top-seeded 2018 champion lost in the round of 16.
* UTC scored two second-half goals and won 2-0 in Southern Conference women's soccer Friday night at Western Carolina. Chloe Arnold broke the deadlock at 48:20 from a Bailey Gale pass and Samantha Shaw converted a Faith Gober assist into insurance at 82:02 for the Mocs (7-3-2, 2-1). Ashton Shields made five saves in the shutout.
* No. 24-ranked Mississippi College upset fifth-ranked host Lee University 3-1 in Gulf South Conference women's soccer Friday, and the men's teams played to a 1-1 draw. Cameron Moser scored at 63:27 for the MC men (3-1-3, 2-0-1), and Tristan Lyle netted a penalty kick at 77:03 for the Flames (5-1-2, 1-0-1), who had an 8-6 edge in shots on goal. The Lady Choctaws (5-1, 3-0) scored in the 16th minute and answered Riley Henry's equalizer at 66:11 with goals at 72:12 and 85:40. The visitors led 10-8 in shots and 6-3 in on-goal attempts over Lee (5-2, 1-1).
* With two goals and an assist by Mercer Stout, the Covenant College men improved to 9-1-1, 6-0 in the USA South, with a 4-1 win Friday at Averett. Stout leads the league with 12 goals. Jake Major had a goal and an assist and Anthony Buzzeo also scored for the Scots, who lead the USAS West Division. Nathan Laughlin and Jesse Riggs added assists. The Averett keeper made 10 saves.
* The Covenant women played to a 1-1 USAS draw at Huntingdon and are 3-4-2, 1-0-1 in the conference. Huntingdon scored off a rebound in the 19th minute, and the Lady Scots couldn't get even until Kailey Burrell scored unassisted from the top of the box at 86:27. Lucy Sandhoff had six saves for Covenant.
* The UTC volleyball team lost its fifth match in a row Friday, 3-0 to visiting East Tennessee State (12-3), and is 5-10 and 0-2 in SoCon play. The set scores were 25-21, 25-21, 25-19. Dani Szczepanski had 11 kills on .350 hitting and Sarah Root and Maia Rackel had eight kills each, while Maddie Halsey set up 30 assists.
* Lee fell 3-1 (21-25, 25-13, 25-14, 25-22) to visiting Alabama-Huntsville in a GSC match but got 39 assists and 11 digs from Hanna Matthews and 15 kills from Quinne Daoust. Also for the Lady Flames (6-8, 0-3), Mary Katherine Givhan had 10 kills, Bailey Kress eight kills, Micaela McMichen 23 digs and Mackenzie Pearson 17 digs.
* Reigning champion Walters State won 3-0 (25-14, 25-13, 25-22) in a TCCAA match at Chattanooga State. Kayla Ford had 23 digs and Dakota Rawiszer had 12 assists and 13 digs for the host Lady Tigers (7-6), while Brieana Hemphill and Madysun Steele had seven and six kills with 10 digs each. Ricki Lynn Bickley also had six kills.
Compiled by Ron Bush. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-757-6291.