While UTC had the fifth-best aggregate grade point average in NCAA Division I women's cross country last fall (3.73), the school was No. 1 in men's cross country at 3.81 and likewise was honored as an all-academic team by the USTCCA. Creighton was second at 3.72. UTC postgraduate student Chris Berry has a 4.0 cumulative GPA and is a national all-academic honoree after running in the national meet. Four Mocs had 4.0 GPAs last fall. Junior Mark Cole has a 3.845 cumulative GPA as a biochemistry major, sophomore Lucas Cotter has a 3.835 and junior Nathan Wanuch has a 3.66.
• Duke University freshman defensive lineman David Helton from Baylor has been named to the Academic All-ACC football team. Helton played in nine games for Duke and totaled 25 tackles, 2.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks.
• SAN DIEGO - Chattanoogans Wesley Cash and Zan Guerry reached the men's 55 doubles quarterfinals in the International Tennis Federation's Seniors World Individual Championships with a 6-4, 6-3 victory Thursday over South Africans Adam Myburgh and Clive Watkinson. Cash and Guerry are seeded fourth and had a bye before beating fellow Americans John Flowers and Roger Hulburt. They face fifth-seeded Alec Allen of Great Britain and Joakim Berner of Finland in the quarters. Cash won three 55 singles matches before falling to No. 12 seed Peter Hampton of New Zealand, a former Davis Cupper. Chattanooga's Sue Bartlett and Sue Webb won twice in women's 50 doubles bfeore losing in the round of 16 to a pair of Australians.
• CLEVELAND, Tenn. - The two teams ranked No. 4 in NAIA Division I had separate results in the Southern States Athletic Conference basketball doubleheader Thursday at Lee University, the host Lady Flames winning 78-63 before the 14th-ranked Flames stunned Southern Polytechnic 93-68. Ryan Westbrooks scored 27 points on 10-of-14 shooting and Steve Bennett had 13 points and nine rebounds for Lee's men (19-5, 13-4). Hollie German scored 22 points with 4-of-6 3-point shooting and Angela Spann added 13 points for the Lady Flames (27-1, 19-0), while Mary Jackson had 11 points and seven rebounds. Chase Morgan had 18 rebounds and eight blocks with 17 points for the Lady Hornets.
• Cleveland's Ish Sanders scored 27 points with four 3-pointers in Carson-Newman's 96-93 overtime loss Wednesday at Mars Hill.
• UTC men's basketball assistant Rick Cabrera will be the guest for the UTC Mocs Club's "Breakfast With the Coach" Saturday at 8:30 a.m. at Wally's Restaurant on McCallie Avenue, and the public is invited to attend and order from the menu. Cabrera has been with the Mocs since April 2008.
• DAYTON, Tenn. - Kevin Layne was 3-for-4 with a home run, two doubles and four RBIs as Bryan College edged Rio Grande 8-7 in baseball Thursday. Shane Clawson was 2-for-2 and matched Tyler Latham's two runs, Billy Veal was 1-for-2 with two RBIs and Adam Sanders got his fourth save for the 7-1 Lions.
• LEBANON, Tenn. - Cumberland University was outhit 12-11 but defeated Bryan College 5-2 and 6-2 in softball Thursday. Taylor Yates homered and Beka James, Kirstie Jennings and Rachel Kirby each had two hits in the first game for Bryan (2-2), and Jessica Southern had a two-run homer in game two. Sydney Broderick homered in each game and was 3-for-4 with five RBIs for Cumberland (2-0).