A weekly list of upcoming outdoors events in the Chattanooga area; to submit an event, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Thursday, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at email@example.com or 413-7033.
* Cumberland Mountain State Park guided hikes: Friday, Pioneer long loop trail (5 miles); Nov. 22, Piney Falls State Natural Area (2 miles); Nov. 29, Pioneer short loop (2 miles); all moderate & starting at noon EST; kid-friendly. Call 931-484-6138.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, Brady Mountain Trail section of CT, moderately strenuous 6.6 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at ballfields parking lot on Durham Street in Soddy-Daisy; call Tom McElhone at 805-208-4654); Tuesday, John's Mountain/Keown Falls, 5.4 miles, easy option or moderate to strenuous (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City/flea market off I-75 exit 1 in East Ridge; hike leader needed); Nov. 23, Cumberland Trail from Suck Creek Road trailhead to Signal Point, moderately strenuous 8.4 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City on Signal Mountain Road; call John Politte at 304-8327); Nov. 26, Chickamauga Battlefield, southern part, 3 miles (call Gloria Nelson at 645-9008).
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meetings: Monday & Dec. 16, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; for recreational cyclists.
* Chattanooga Grotto Club meeting: Dec. 2, 7-8:30 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; promotes caving adventures; free, open to public.
* Chattanooga Ski Club meeting: Dec. 3, 7 p.m., Enclave subdivision clubhouse, 950 Channel View Lane; discussions of the winter ski race season at resorts in North Carolina & West Virginia as well as snow ski/board trips to Steamboat, Colo.; Snowmass, Colo.; Salt Lake City; Banff, Canada; & St. Moritz, Switzerland. See www.chattanoogaskiclub.org
* Interscholastic Climbing League: Dec. 7, High Point Riverside, & Dec. 14, Tenn. Bouldering Authority; 2nd & 3rd of 6 meets at 3 local indoor climbing gyms for grades 6-12 teams. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 643-6888.
* Rapid Learning intro to kayak & skills practice: Dec. 10, 7-8 or 8-9 p.m. (pick the time slot), Hulsey Wellness Center at Southern Adventist University; $2 cash for pool use; family-friendly for ages 8-up; $75 for individual year's membership, $125 for family; first-timers free; equipment provided, reservations not required. Email email@example.com or call 643-6888.
* Cumberland Trail hiking series: Dec. 14, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.; guided, moderately strenuous 4-7 miles, 1 way (shuttle provided), free but advance registration required through firstname.lastname@example.org or 643-6888.