A weekly list of upcoming outdoors events in the Chattanooga area; to submit an event, write to email@example.com.
* Sportsbarn Turkey Trot: Thursday, from Sportsbarn East on Lee Highway; 8k race, 9 a.m., & 3-mile family walk/jog, 8:45; kiddie K, 8:30 (12-under); on-site registration starts at 7 a.m.; proceeds to National Kidney Foundation.
* Cumberland Mountain State Park guided hike: Friday, Pioneer short loop trail (2 miles); all moderate & starting at noon EST; kid-friendly. Call 931-484-6138.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, Black Mountain Trail section of Cumberland Trail, moderate to difficult 7.2 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at ballfields parking lot on Durham Street in Soddy-Daisy; call Tom McElhone at 805-208-4654); Tuesday, Raccoon Mountain east rim overlook to switchyard & back, easy to moderate 4.5 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City in Red Bank; call Earl Helmer at 770-877-0600); Dec. 7, Lookout Mountain from Garden Road parking area to Jackson Gap & back, moderately strenuous 9.1 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Brown's Ferry parking lot; call Tammy Hendrick at 315-949-8187).
* Chattanooga Grotto Club meeting: Monday, 7-8:30 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; promotes caving adventures; free, open to public.
* Chattanooga Ski Club meeting: Tuesday, 7 p.m., Enclave subdivision clubhouse, 950 Channel View Lane; discussions of the winter ski race season at resorts in North Carolina & West Virginia as well as snow ski/board trips to Steamboat, Colo.; Snowmass, Colo.; Salt Lake City; Banff, Canada; & St. Moritz, Switzerland. See www.chattanoogaskiclub.org
* Interscholastic Climbing League: Dec. 7, High Point Riverside, & Dec. 14, Tenn. Bouldering Authority; 2nd & 3rd of 6 meets at 3 local indoor climbing gyms for grades 6-12 teams. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 643-6888.
* Rapid Learning intro to kayak & skills practice: Dec. 10, 7-8 or 8-9 p.m. (pick the time slot), Hulsey Wellness Center at Southern Adventist University; $2 cash for pool use; family-friendly for ages 8-up; $75 for individual year's membership, $125 for family; first-timers free; equipment provided, reservations not required. Email email@example.com or call 643-6888.
* Cumberland Trail hiking series: Dec. 14, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.; guided, moderately strenuous 4-7 miles, 1 way (shuttle provided), free but advance registration required through firstname.lastname@example.org or 643-6888.
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meeting: Dec. 16, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; for recreational cyclists.
* Wild Trails 200 Mile Club: Encourages improved fitness; cover 200 miles in three months under one's own power, whether by running, biking, swimming, paddling, walking or other aerobic activities. Anyone interested can start at any time by registering at wildtrails.org/200-mile-club and recording his or her progress there. Getting to 200 makes one a member, and the membership card secures discounts at a variety of places. Club activities include a campout, barbecue and 15k/5k trail races every three months at Lula Lake Land Trust.