A weekly list of upcoming outdoors events in the Chattanooga area; to submit an event, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, Frozen Head State Park, Spicewood Branch loop trail, 7.2 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at ballfields parking lot on Durham Street in Soddy-Daisy; call Tom McElhone at 805-208-4654); Tuesday, Benton Falls in Ocoee area, easy 2-5 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City in Ooltewah; call Tammy Hendricks at 315-949-8187); Oct. 12, Frozen Head SP, Bird Mountain loop trail, 7.1 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Durham Street lot; call John Politte at 304-8327); Oct. 15, Laurel Falls Trail, across the bridge up through rim to bluff, easy to moderate 5 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Durham Street lot; call Nancy Allen at 344-1118).
* Sequatchie River canoe tour: Saturday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. EDT, 3-mile scenic paddle with Outdoor Chattanooga guides; in conjunction with Cycle Sequatchie scenic ride, guided hikes, other activities; canoe trip costs $25, OK for ages 8-up with adult. Pre-payment required; call 643-6888.
* Cloudland Canyon Star Party: Saturday, 8-10 p.m., near the park's disc golf course; conducted by Barnard Astronomical Society; chance to see the night sky through telescopes & binoculars available free, with experts to identify constellations, etc.; parking fee $5; if there's a possibility of rain, call 941-544-3420 after 6 the night of the scheduled event.
* Adaptive cycling program: Monday, 5:30-7:30 p.m., from Hubert Fry Center at Tennessee Riverpark; sponsored by SPARC & Chattanooga therapeutic recreation division; recumbent 3-wheelers, hand cycles & tandem bikes available; free but pre-registration required through Jerry at email@example.com or 596-5268 or Elaine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 697-1345. Also, volunteers email email@example.com.
* Chattanooga Grotto Club meeting: Monday, 7-8:30 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; promotes caving adventures; free, open to public.
* Adult Archers & Aces: Tuesdays in October, noon-1:30 p.m., indoors at Outdoor Chattanooga center, Coolidge Park; ages 30-older, free, no reservations or experience necessary, sessions include games & socializing; equipment & instruction provided.
* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Oct. 10, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-7033.
* Cumberland Trail hiking series: Oct. 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; guided, moderately strenuous, 1 way (shuttle provided), mostly downhill 4-7 miles; free but advance registration required through info@ outdoorchattanooga.com or 643-6888.
* Chickamauga Battlefield free bike tour: Oct. 19, 9:30-11:30 a.m., leisurely 3- to 4-mile ride from visitors center with history talks; adults & kids ages 8-up (with adult) welcome; helmets required. Bicycles can be reserved by calling 643-6888.
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meeting: Oct. 21, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; for recreational cyclists.
* Interscholastic Climbing League: Grades 6-12 teams in a series of 6 meets at 3 indoor climbing gyms. If interested and your school does not have a team, email email@example.com or call 643-6888.