A weekly list of upcoming outdoors events in the Chattanooga area; to submit an event, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, Prentice Cooper, Cumberland Trail parking lot to Lawson Rock overlook via Indian Rockhouse, moderately strenuous 6.4 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City on Signal Mountain Road; call Tammy Hendrick at 315-949-8187); Tuesday, Signal Mountain MS/HS to Mushroom Rock, then along bluff on return, easy to moderate 5 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City on Signal Mountain Road; call Trish Appleton at 332-6517); Sept. 14, Prentice Cooper, Mullins Cove loop, moderately strenuous 9.6 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City on Signal Mountain Road; call John Politte at 304-8327).
* Lula Lake open gate days: This Saturday, admittance 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.; Sunday, admittance noon-3:30 p.m; $15 per car (no large vehicles); space limited, so reservations required. See www.LulaLake.org; nonprofit groups can call 706-820-0520.
* Cloudland Canyon Star Party: Saturday, 8-10 p.m., near the park's disc golf course; conducted by Barnard Astronomical Society; chance to see the night sky through telescopes & binoculars available free, with experts to identify constellations, etc.; parking fee $5; if there's a possibility of rain, call 941-544-3420 after 6 the night of the scheduled event.
* Adaptive cycling program: Monday & Sept. 23, 6-8 p.m., from Hubert Fry Center at Tennessee Riverpark; sponsored by SPARC & city of Chattanooga therapeutic recreation division; recumbent 3-wheelers, hand cycles & tandem bikes available; free but pre- registration required through Jerry at email@example.com or 596-5268 or Elaine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 697-1345. Also, volunteers email email@example.com.
* Paddle Smart Chattanooga safety class: Tuesday, 6-8 p.m., Chester Frost Park beach; led by Outdoor Chattanooga for people with their own boats & equipment but wanting instruction in flatwater paddling; $10; youth 10-up OK with adult; pre-registration required at 643-6888.
* Rapid Learning intro to kayak & skills practice: Wednesdays, 6-7 & 7-8 p.m., Chester Frost Park, end of swimming beach by first boat ramp; family-friendly for ages 8-up; $75 for individual year's membership, $125 for family; first-timers free; equipment provided, reservations not required. See www.outdoorchattanooga.com.
* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Sept. 12, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-7033.
* Interscholastic Climbing League: Grades 6-12 teams in a series of 6 meets at 3 indoor climbing gyms. If interested and your school does not have a team, email email@example.com or call 643-6888.
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meeting: Sept. 16, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; for recreational cyclists.
* Tennessee River Gorge sunset kayak tour: Sept. 19, 6:30-9:30 p.m., from TVA boat ramp off Raccoon Mountain Road; guided & beginner-friendly; equipment & shuttle provided; $50, required in advance at https://tnrivergorgetrust.ticketspice.com
* Guided sunset canoe tour: Sept. 20, 6-8 p.m., North Chickamauga Creek; experience helpful but not required, ages 6-up with adult; $10, includes equipment; pre-payment required. Call 643-6888.
* Chickamauga Battlefield free bike tour: Sept. 21, 9:30-11:30 a.m., leisurely 3- to 4-mile ride from visitors center with history talks; adults & kids ages 8-up (with adult) welcome; helmets required. Bicycles can be reserved by calling 643-6888.
* Little Debbie Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga: Sept. 29, 7:20 a.m. swim start 1 mile up Tennessee River from Ross's Landing transitions area. See https://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events.