A weekly list of upcoming outdoors events in the Chattanooga area; to submit an event, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Thursday, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at email@example.com or 413-7033.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, Prentice Cooper, Mullins Cove loop, moderately strenuous 9.6 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City on Signal Mountain Road; call John Politte at 304-8327); Tuesday, Cloudland Canyon connector to Ascalon trailhead, easy 5.5 miles, will stage cars (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City in Red Bank or at 8:45 at Food City in St. Elmo; call Donna Pyers at 344-9271); Sept. 21, Cloudland's Bear Creek backcountry trail, strenuous 7.3 miles ($5 parking fee; meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City in Red Bank; call Politte); Sept. 24, Lookout Mountain from trailhead near Covenant College to Bluff Trail to Jackson Gap Trail to West Brow loop trail, 4.5 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City in Red Bank or at 9 a.m. at trailhead parking lot; call Trish Appleton at 332-6517).
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meeting: Monday, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; for recreational cyclists.
* Interscholastic Climbing League: Grades 6-12 teams in a series of six meets at three indoor climbing gyms. If interested and your school does not have a team, email info@ outdoorchattanooga.com or call 643-6888.
* Rapid Learning intro to kayak & skills practice: Wednesdays, 6-7 & 7-8 p.m., Chester Frost Park, end of swimming beach by first boat ramp; family-friendly for ages 8-up; $75 for individual year's membership, $125 for family; first-timers free; equipment provided, reservations not required. See www.outdoor chattanooga.com.
* Tennessee River Gorge sunset kayak tour: Sept. 19, 6:30-9:30 p.m., from TVA boat ramp off Raccoon Mountain Road; guided & beginner-friendly; equipment & shuttle provided; $50, required in advance at tnrivergorgetrust. ticketspice.com
* Family sunset canoe tour: Sept. 20, 6-8 p.m., North Chickamauga Creek; experience helpful but not required, ages 6-up with adult; $10, includes equipment, guides; pre-payment required. Call 643-6888.
* Chickamauga Battlefield free bike tour: Sept. 21, 9:30-11:30 a.m., leisurely 3- to 4-mile ride from visitors center with history talks; adults & kids ages 8-up (with adult) welcome; helmets required. Bicycles can be reserved by calling 643-6888.
* Adaptive cycling program: Sept. 23 & Oct. 7, 6-8 p.m., from Hubert Fry Center at Tennessee Riverpark; sponsored by SPARC & city of Chattanooga therapeutic recreation division; recumbent 3-wheelers, hand cycles & tandem bikes available; free but pre-registration required through Jerry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 596-5268 or Elaine at email@example.com or 697-1345. Also, volunteers email got2run firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Kayak the Tennessee River Gorge: Sept. 28, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m.; paddle with Outdoor Chattanooga guides in sea touring kayaks; ages 16-up, youth accompanied by adult; $50, registration & payment required in advance. Call 643-6888.
* Little Debbie Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga: Sept. 29, 7:20 a.m. swim start 1 mile up Tennessee River from Ross's Landing transitions area. See https://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events
* Chattanooga Ski Club meeting: Oct. 1, 7 p.m., Enclave subdivision clubhouse, 950 Channel View Lane. See www.chattanoogaskiclub.org.
* Chattanooga Grotto Club meeting: Oct. 7, 7-8:30 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; promotes caving adventures; free, open to public.