A weekly list of upcoming outdoors events in the Chattanooga area; to submit an event, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, Ocoee area near Thunder Rock Campground, moderately strenuous 8 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City in Ooltewah; call Tom McElhone at 805-208-4654); Tuesday, Glen Falls Trail, easy, starting from parking lot across from Ruby Falls (meet there at 9 a.m. or at 8:30 at Food City in Red Bank; call Rene Grace at 593-8128); Oct. 5, Frozen Head State Park, Spicewood Branch loop trail (meet at 8:30 a.m. by ballfields on Durham Street in Soddy-Daisy; call McElhone); Oct. 8, Benton Falls in Ocoee area, easy 2-5 miles (meet at 8:30 a.m. at Food City in Ooltewah; call Tammy Hendricks at 315-949-8187).
* Kayak the Tennessee River Gorge: Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m.; paddle with Outdoor Chattanooga guides in sea touring kayaks; ages 16-up, youth accompanied by adult; $50, registration & payment required in advance. Call 643-6888.
* Little Debbie Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga: Sunday, 7:20 a.m. swim start 1 mile up Tennessee River from Ross's Landing transitions area. See www.ironman.com/triathlon/events.
* Adult Archers & Aces: Tuesdays in October, noon-1:30 p.m., indoors at Outdoor Chattanooga center, Coolidge Park; ages 30-older, free, no reservations or experience necessary, sessions include games & socializing; equipment & instruction provided.
* Chattanooga Ski Club meeting: Tuesday, 7 p.m., Enclave subdivision clubhouse, 950 Channel View Lane; discussions of the Oct. 18-19 hike to the Len Foote Hike Inn & snow ski/board trips to Steamboat, Colo.; Snowmass, Colo.; Salt Lake City; Banff, Canada; and St. Moritz, Switzerland. See www.chattanoogaskiclub.org.
* Sequatchie River canoe tour: Oct. 5, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. EDT, 3-mile scenic paddle with Outdoor Chattanooga guides; in conjunction with Cycle Sequatchie scenic ride, guided hikes, other activities; canoe trip costs $25, OK for ages 8-up with adult. Pre-payment required; call 643-6888.
* Adaptive cycling program: Oct. 7, 6-8 p.m., from Hubert Fry Center at Tennessee Riverpark; sponsored by SPARC & city of Chattanooga therapeutic recreation division; recumbent 3-wheelers, hand cycles & tandem bikes available; free but pre-registration required through Jerry at email@example.com or 596-5268 or Elaine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 697-1345. Volunteers email email@example.com.
* Chattanooga Grotto Club meeting: Oct. 7, 7-8:30 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; promotes caving adventures; free, open to public.
* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Oct. 10, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-7033.
* Cumberland Trail hiking series: Oct. 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; guided, moderately strenuous, 1 way (shuttle provided), mostly downhill 4-7 miles; free but advance registration required through email@example.com or 643-6888.
* Chickamauga Battlefield free bike tour: Oct. 19, 9:30-11:30 a.m., leisurely 3- to 4-mile ride from visitors center with history talks; adults & kids ages 8-up (with adult) welcome; helmets required. Bicycles can be reserved by calling 643-6888.
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meeting: Oct. 21, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park; for recreational cyclists.