Coaches usually aren't pleased when their teams are held scoreless in any sport, but McCallie coach Tony Meyers and Boyd-Buchanan's Jason Owens found reasons to be upbeat after their teams battled to a 0-0 tie Tuesday.

For McCallie's Blue Tornado (4-2-2), with multiple players battling injuries, the final score was a good vote of confidence.

"Boyd has some athletic people and they do a good job with the personnel they have," Meyers said. "I was trying to sit a couple of our guys out early and play them sparingly, but when the game started to get tight, I had to play them more.

"We talked about some things in practice and worked on them. I think we were able to connect on some passes and mount some good attacks."

For Boyd-Buchanan (9-0-2), tying a team that Owens called "the No. 1 team in the city" could bode well as the Buccaneers try to repeat last season's state tournament appearance.

"I'm happy with everything. It was just a great game," Owens said.

The shots on goal finished nine to eight in favor of McCallie, and possession was about even until the Blue Tornado started to control the ball late in the contest.

"Honestly, that's the first time we've put two halves together this season," Owens said. "I expected to get the game that we got - a 1-0 game either way."

Owens' only gripe wasn't even with his team; it was on a goal that almost was. Eight minutes into the second half, Drew Zumbrun fired a shot that hit the bottom of the crossbar and appeared to break the plane of the goal, but the officials never signaled a score, much to the dismay of the Bucs coaching.

"I saw where it crossed the goal line," Owens said.

"We dodged a couple of dangerous opportunities they had to score," Meyers said. "I don't know if that ball crossed or not."

Owens was pleased with his defense, which withstood a late push by the McCallie forwards, led by Arturo Rocha, Garrett Hicks and Max Crabtree.

"Coach Dustin Walker really has the defense playing competitively," Owens said. "They play well together. To hold McCallie to no goals is doing something."

"We started to settle down," Meyers said of the final spurt. "We started to play simple and within ourselves. Those last 15 minutes, we started to create more dangerous scoring opportunities."