Statue of Confederate Gen. Alexander P. Stewart, "Old A.P.," tells a story

photo A statue of Confederate Gen. Alexander P. Stewart, "Old A.P.", has been standing on the Hamilton County Courthouse lawn since the Daughters of the Confederacy put it up in 1916.

Two bronze eyes of a statue tarnished green over almost a century gaze over Georgia Avenue beneath the broad trees of the Hamilton County Courthouse.

The plaque beneath the memorialized bronze bust reads "A.P. Stewart, Lt. General, C.S.A., 1861-1865."

A lesser-known figure of the Civil War, Alexander P. Stewart cemented his ties to Chattanooga about this time of year in 1863. He led a Confederate division against the Union offensive at Chickamauga on Sept.