MOUNTAIN HOME, Ark. (AP) - An Arkansas veterinarian has kept a dog from going out with a bang after the animal ate 23 live rifle rounds.
The Baxter Bulletin reported that 4-year-old Belgian Malinois, Benno, had surgery last week to remove the .308 caliber ammunition from his stomach.
Owner Larry Brassfield says Benno has eaten socks, magnets and marbles but he didn't expect the animal would bother a bag of bullets by his bed. Brassfield and his wife realized Benno needed medical attention after the pet vomited up four rounds.
The vet removed 17 rounds from Benno's stomach but left two in his esophagus, which the dog was allowed to discharge on his own.
Brassfield says he won't leave ammo lying around anymore but isn't optimistic that Benno will stick to dog food.
In this photo taken April 27, 2015, in Mountain Home, Ark., dog owner Sonny Brassfield, right, and veterinarian Dr. Sarah Sexton, play with Brassfield's Belgian Malinois "Benno". Sexton removed 17 live .308 caliber rifle rounds from the dog's stomach during a two-hour operation. (Josh Dooley/The Baxter Bulletin via AP) NO SALES; MANDATORY CREDIT
In this photo taken April 27, 2015, in Mountain Home, Ark., an x-ray reveals 17 live .380 caliber rifle rounds in the stomach of "Benno", a 4-year-old dog that chewed and swallowed the ammo. The Belgian Malinois is expected to fully recover from the two-hour surgery that removed the rounds. (Josh Dooley/The Baxter Bulletin via AP) NO SALES; MANDATORY CREDIT