Chattanooga Fire Department: Fish fry sets house ablaze at 5007 Swan Rd.

House fire tile black

A house caught fire Friday evening after a gust of wind blew flames from an outdoor deep fryer onto the side of the house, the Chattanooga Fire Department said.

Battalion Chief Frederick Blake said two residents at 5007 Swan Rd. were cooking fish on the back deck when the flames carried onto the wall of the house. The flames then spread up to the attic.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control, and no injuries were reported. Blake said the damage was contained to the attic and exterior wall, and estimated the dollar loss to be $30,000.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called in to provide assistance to the two residents, who were displaced by the fire.